1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore is scum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Apr 15, 2007.

1. No, what I said was that she's never done anything for anyone anywhere for whatever reason ever. And anyone who thinks that this NYP story isn't about covering St. Rudy's as for his betrayal of the 9/11 workers really needs to get out more.
    You're so caught up in this whole "You don't criticize your own side" nonsense that it's no longer worth responding to. No, as a matter of fact, I think all the damage done to this country over the past seven years does happen to come from what styles itself the "conservative movement." I think it's going to take decades for anyone to clear the wreckage. I think Coulter is a heedless shrew who has a career at all because of the sugar-daddy foundations of the lunatic Right. Say what you will about Moore -- and I still haven't forgiven him for supporting Nader and helping to bring on this disaster -- but he built his career himself, from nothing, in the most American of ways. Did he take these people to Cuba to see if they could get better treatment than they could here? Yes. Did they? I'm anxious to learn. Consodering what you seem to think of the Cuban system, you should be, too.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. Nothing says fun like dropping $10 on a movie ticket, buying some popcorn and a drink and settling in for two hours of good, solid health care talk.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey, Pube eats that stuff up. Gives him ammunition so he can come on here and impress us with his ... with his ... with his ...

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Interesting that Hillary was mentioned as someone who helped bring health care to its current state.

I wonder if Moore bashes her in the film. If she is clearly trailing Obama by the time it's finished, he will. If she's the clear Democratic front-runner by that time . . . let's just say it will be interesting.

And as for Fahrenheit 9/11 pushing people the other way. . . . . I don't see how anyone could argue against this, the idea that his loudmouth (and Hollywood's, for that matter) helped push some fence voters the other way. Which is why no one on this thread has disputed it.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Stuff. With his stuff.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's just horseshit, FB. Rudy Giuliani didn't create the health problems brought on by those buildings falling. Your finger pointing is twisted beyond your usual circuitous ideological logic.

I understand that the mythical leader of your Monday Morning Quarterbacking choice would have provided unlimited magic pills from Cuba to prevent the respiratory illnesses we're seeing in retrospect. Maybe he would have said "fuck it" to the recovery and clean up, cordoned off the area for 50 miles and done a five-year EPA study first (of course, if that was the decision, your criticism would be inaction and making us look even more vulnerable).

I was at the smoldering rubble several days a week for months, so I'm speaking first hand. I am close to dozens of other people who WILLINGLY went down there--knowing the risks--because they thought it was imperative to act quickly. No one went anywhere near there without the thought that they were breathing in all kinds of unspeakable things. I still have a pile of face masks. I had the same conversation about the air quality over and over again. Everyone did. And yet, the workers still showed up every day (often working ridiculously long and arduous shifts breathing that crap in for hours at a time) along with the same core of volunteers. They did this despite the health risks floating in the air.

And Rudolph Giuliani didn't have the magic wand to change the air quality, as much as you just need to make him the villain.

I live close enough that I sat at home and wondered what I was breathing in, actually. I was also smart enough to realize that 1) No one was responsible other than the terrorists who flew the planes into the buildings, 2) There was diddly anyone could do about it, and 3) It was a time for action, not worrying about the Monday Morning Quarterbacking people might be doing 5 years later to make ridiculous partisan arguments.

But yeah, it as Rudy Giuliani that screwed those workers, not the two massively huge buildings that were destroyed by terrorists, putting all kinds of toxins in the air.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You'd better get to know the ins and outs sooner or later, or you WILL, not could, be up a creek.

8. Yes, Cuba is wonderful. That's why there are scores of people in south Florida turning '57 Chevys into rafts so they can get there. Oh, wait ...

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No. No, no, no.

Here's what you're not seeing. I could know every nook and cranny about such a thing ... and it's still not going to change what's going to happen to it, and how that will affect me.

I think I'll just stay uninformed and blissfully unbored, and if the health-care situation has me in a bind when I'm 70, it was going to either way. The difference will be, I will not have wasted my healthy years wringing my hands about it.

If you enjoy debating/discussing it, god bless ya. But don't think for a moment that you're going to change anything.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

shot,

I'm young enough and full of enough piss and vinegar not to give the faintest fuck about any of it. I don't enjoy discussing it or gathering bits of knowledge any more than I do for my taxes. I accumulate because I don't intend to be cheated by anyone. It's as simple as that.

Anyone approaching or over the hill can't say that a viable health plan is a diminishing priority. Sure, nobody gets out of this thing alive, but if I should fall from grace, I'm not and my family is not going to get stuck holding the rod.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Get back to me with the ticket count for Sicko.

You are bizarro Roy Jones, post-for-post, you are the most worthless contributor to this site.

Fucking chronic... terminal.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And I figure I cover my bases just enough that, if I go down, there are so many people going down with me that the screaming will force change.

That's enough for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted