1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore is scum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Apr 15, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, I think you need to go back and take a look at your rhetoric on that thread...
    Mister Pot, meet Mister Kettle.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I could even understand an agenda if he was truthful. It's the outright lying, cherry-picking things that fit the predetermined agenda (and ignoring things that invalidate it) and distorting the facts to blow them up as more meaningful than they are, that makes what he does BS.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Any trailer that opens with GWB's line about "too many OB-GYN's are unable to practice . . . their . . . their love with women all across this country," has to have some promise.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Wrong.

See Hearts and Minds, Harlan County USA, Night and Fog, Titicut Follies...and on and on.

If you have any concept of cinema history, you'd realize there are plenty of instances where documentaries assert themselves in defending an otherwise powerless group of people.

I found it interesting on Bill Maher's HBO show the other night how Michael Moore described his works as failures. Roger and Me did not save his home town of Flint. The Big One didn't stop outsourcing. Bowling for Columbine did not prevent the VA Tech massacre and Fahrenheit 9/11 did not bring a halt to the Iraq War or the president.

Of course, a lot of people take pride in that, but I find nothing comforting about seeing powerful push the rest of us closer to extinction.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I didn't call Bush Pol Pot.

It was Jim Jones.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Writers, almost every one in our industry, leave out detracting info from a story that is attempting to make a point.

And, this lazy-assed commentary like the one above....."He lies...." "He misrepresents...."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

He represents. The POINTS of his film are spot on, and often are followed by events that make them look fucking prescient.

Enough with the "He's lying" Molotovs.

It's like the Canseco shit all over again....

If he was lying, he would had his holdings garnished in lawsuit by now.

It's a bunch of Swift Boat-styled, right-wing agendist vitriol that gets perpetuated by lemmings posting things such as above that make his films less respected than they absolutely should be.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Great, great post, NOLU.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If one is doing a documentary on the mating rituals of the emperor penguin, an agenda likely isn't required (or noticed).

But a documentary on hot-button issues and/or current events is another animal.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What kind of animal, BTE? A three-toed sloth?

10. duckncover

duckncover Member

Moore was right about Iraq and he was right about Kuwait. That two-bit dictatorship wasn't worth saving, and the resulting base in Saudi Arabia is one of the reasons (the main one) that Bin Laden attacked. He might have initially been wrong about Afghanistan (not sure where he really stood) but it sure seems like that country is returning to Taliban rule anyway.

But if he switched his position I find that an endearing quality. When choosing someone to listen to, I prefer to listen to those who are consistently right and/or alter their positions when they are proven wrong. Limbaugh, Colter, Hanity et al are ideological assmonkeys who ignore facts and reason and enable this disaster of a president to drive this country into the turf. My mom listens to limbaugh.

Watching the news one evening, we see a poll that says most Americans want us out of Iraq. "Bullshit!" she says. "Those polls are wrong."

I say, they can't all be wrong, mom, and they all say the same thing.

"Well," she said, "they didn't ask me."

My jaw is still on the floor.

11. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I don't really see anything wrong with what Moore did.

Sure, it sucks that the one dude got stood up, but that happens.

And sure, Moore clearly had ulterior motives for his actions, but in the end, it sounds like he probably helped out a lot of these first-responders and gave them something they're not getting in the States -- adequate health care.

Of course, I don't know that for a fact, but that's certainly what I inferred from the one guy who was quoted in the story that they were "utterly happy."

Draft saved Draft deleted