1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Lewis' "The No-Stats All-Star"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Feb 15, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Is oversimplfying to make the point you're trying to a trap that's easy to fall into, writing-wise, DD?

2. Bob Sakamano

Bob Sakamano New Member

Game 4:

Battier: 23 points, 6-12 shooting
    Kobe: 15 points, 7-17 shooting

That's three out of four games where Kobe has been well below his standard offensive production (don't oversimplify it and look at points alone, it's primarily visible in the percentages and the amount of shots he has to take to get those points).

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Satanic Verses? ;)

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Asking because I really don't know: Is there a site (like Stats Inc. for the NFL) that would break down who was the primary defender on Kobe's shots? I haven't been taking notes but it sure seems to me that through four games (and particularly in Game 4) Kobe is having a much harder time with Artest. He's actually moving past Battier pretty well and getting good open looks.

But, point taken and this is opening my eyes a bit. I still think it's more accurate to say Battier does a nice job and makes Kobe work hard (which GB-Hack says) and leave out the hyperbole about how the Rockets have bottled the magic formula, though. And Game 4 was an abomination from start to finish that can't be looked at for anything. Kobe was actually pretty efficient early on, but it was obvious from the wasted possession on the opening tip that his team had no interest in being there. By the middle of the second quarter they could barely even catch his passes.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the concept of a 'magic formula' to restrict Bryant is hyperbole too.

What I got from the original article was that the Rockets, who already had two big stars in McGrady and Yao, were looking at players who could fill a role that allowed Houston to stay under the salary cap.

Battier has never been viewed as a high-price commodity, and as such, the Rockets were able to get him for just over a mid-level NBA deal, about 6-7 million over the next couple of years. The did the same thing with Aaron Brooks, who makes a little over 1 million right now, and won't make more than 3 million in a year for the remainder of his deal. You could probably make an argument for Luis Scola being a similar player.

Battier, Brooks and Scola are fulfilling the roles the Rockets are asking of them, and for the first time in over 10 years, or since Olajuwon was there, they got out of the first round. Battier may have been the crux of Lewis' story, but all three players have helped them get better.

6. fishwrapper

To state that would mean to discount Daryl Morey’s entire mention in the piece.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

How so?

8. fishwrapper

Perhaps, I overstated...
    We can all agree that Shane Battier is a role player.
    In Morey's view, Battier is an uber-role player that has objective (sometimes non-traditional) and subjective value that's infinitely worth more than a player filling a roster or even a starter for his franchise.
    And, knowing Daryl, he would give you case for both Scola and Brooks, which you pointed out.

Draft saved Draft deleted