1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Lewis on the President for Vanity Fair

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think the correct command is 'Convince me.'/Pierce

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If Graydon Carter is still the editor at Vanity Fair, then you can expect a full-on salad toss.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not Rolling Stone. I hope Jann Wenner's knees didn't spoil the rug in the Oval Office after the interview for their recent cover story.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Certainly offset by Tina Brown's recent Newsweek cover.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

When I wrote "prove it" I responded to what I thought you were writing, which was that Vanity Fair was turning.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No , but it was my poor proof reading before I hit send that got you off the track. My apologies.

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

The Newsweek cover story on Obama by Niall Ferguson is so rife with errors it prompted a complete fact-check by the Atlantic.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/08/a-full-fact-check-of-niall-fergusons-very-bad-argument-against-obama/261306/

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow! Just like they did with all the erroneous Sarah Palin articles.

10. For those who are into reading Tea leaves - it should be noted that Vanity Fair held a big party in 2008 at the DNC Convention in Denver but is not hosting anything at the DNC Convention this year at Charlotte. Could be that the Lewis piece won't be as big as a rah-rah ass-smooch as some believe.

11. JPsT

JPsT Member

Perhaps I can note this here, as this is the journalism topics board, and this is a journalism topic.

I find myself having this problem in my own writing. I'm fine writing negatively about a team, but if a player or other person lets me into their life when I'm writing a profile or feature, I sometimes fret about portraying them too harshly.

Perhaps this is partly realizing the person is another human like me with real problems, real worries and real failures they have to deal with. I'm admittedly not writing about matters quite as significant as the financial crash or the president, but it still creates a dissonance within when I'm writing.

Anybody else have the same experience? Thoughts on how to overcome this or is it something that doesn't need overcoming?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well golly gee, once again the neener-neener thread is back. Seems like some locked threads don't stay locked.

But, while we're looking at interesting articles, this one is pretty captivating too:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/22/why-believe-romney-now-after-his-lies-on-medicare-bain-taxes.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.