1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Jackson's "This Is It!" Tour Sells Out - Controversy Looms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

NAMBLA would buy a huge bloc of tickets.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, you know, apart from that whole put-on-trial-for-fucking-little-kids thing. I think that might have dinged his image just a bit.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I am CONVINCED the people in those crowds were ringers bought and paid for by Wacko Jacko. CONVINCED of it. People will let their fanboi/girldom get in the way of just about anything. Ray-Ray Lewis is a corporate pitchman, for fuck's sake. But molesting little kids and having your nose fall off? He is the weirdest fucking idiot IN THE WORLD and I don't know a single person who would want to be caught dead at an MJ show.

The dude has always been about touting himself as the greatest in the world, no matter how delusional he may seem. So why wouldn't he pay a thousand people to come out and cry and scream and act like complete idiots in support of him?

I am as convinced of this as I have been of anything else that I cannot prove. :D

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Child molestation allegations on MJ have gone back as far as 1993. He paid a kid $20 million back in '94 to not incriminate him. The actual trial a few years back was just more of the same, sadly.

I stand by my statement.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if by brilliant muscian you mean his music is aimed at 13-year-old boys, i agree.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Who can still draw a crowd too. Doesn't mean it is still a trendsetting act.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I was at a house party this week, and when the subject of him touring came up, about half the people said they would pay almost any price to see him in concert, as long as he was singing some of his old stuff. It's as much about nostalgia as anything. He's the soundtrack to much of our youth. And as creepy as the dude is, I absolutely believe he'd still sell out shows in the U.S.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

There is no comparison between the Who and Michael Jackson.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Both are past their prime. Both are no longer producing good new music. Both could sell tickets on the nostalgia factor.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Everyone wants to look at a train wreck.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Jackson takes a hit here because his trial took place here. We got the headlines. We got the dirty details -- no matter if we wanted 'em or not. The folks in Europe, while most might have heard about what was happening, they weren't getting daily reports complete with recounts of trial testimony talking about Jacko in footy PJs.

That said, Giants Stadium, 20 dates, no problem.

Ain't no way those people outside that courtroom were plants. You think there are 1,000 people in this country dumb enough to stand out in front of that courthouse, but yet, are smart enough to keep the fact that they were paid to do it a secret? Come on.

When he was found not-guilty, some woman was releasing white doves. You can't fake that kind of crazy.

Make it 25 dates. Easy.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The supporters were bussed in each day from out of town.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1486721/20040430/jackson_michael.jhtml

He has no broad support here. In Europe he's still a star. In the US he's a pederast and a has-been.

Draft saved Draft deleted