1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Jackson's "This Is It!" Tour Sells Out - Controversy Looms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Mar 19, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Didn't see this anywhere on the board. I apologize if it's a d_b.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/03/13/michael-jackson-sells-out-50-london-shows-as-controversy-brews-on-secondary-market

Michael Jackson's newest tour, "This Is It!" in London's O2 Arena completely sold out all 50 shows yesterday. There's some controversy, however, that while AEG Live authorized Viagogo as the secondary-ticket dealer, Viagogo THEN offered other secondary-ticket dealers special packages and deals who then hiked the ticket prices even higher.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I was all set to ask how young a groupie has to be to get a backstage pass . . . .

Nothing shocking about the ticket sales flap. This seems to be happening a lot with major concerts these days.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've seen MJ in concert. The man is worth the money. He's not the most masculine fellow you'll ever see, but he does entertain.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Happened with Nine Inch Nails recently and they aren't happy about it.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

See Ticketmaster's instant-scalping outlet, TicketsNow.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Nice.

In his prime (after Thriller, before the Crayola people started drawing on his face) I would have paid top dollar to see him, not now.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jacko for some reason is still monstrously huge in Europe. I'm not sure over here whether he could fill up an equivalent stadium of ours — say, Giants Stadium — even once.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

He could fill up Giants Stadium. Don't know about 50 nights, but I'd say give him three good nights with good weather, he'd have no problem. People still like his music.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Liked Fark's headline: something about Jackson saying "he feels like a kid again. And I feel younger, too!"

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There is no doubt in my mind that he would sell out Giants Stadium in 10 minutes. Maybe 10 shows.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And the crowd would be screaming and throwing Underoos onstage.

Draft saved Draft deleted