1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Jackson coverage - TMZ says he's dead, nobody else does

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write then drink, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm curious about what's going on at CNN today.

Certainly, it's important to be cautious with a celebrity death story. You don't want to be wrong. But, yesterday afternoon/early evening crossed over from "We want to be accurate" to "We can't get this confirmed, and everyone else is." It was a bad, bad day for the network, and you have to wonder how it's handling things behind the scenes.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's about eight miles down Santa Monica Blvd. to UCLA Medical Center from the CNN Building.

3. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

It got to be very difficult to watch there for a while, with CNN going from "hospitalized" to "coma" to "everyone else is reporting he's dead but we haven't confirmed it."

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Corporate synergy strikes again! Oh, wait, it doesn't.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

This is interesting because I was thinking about it on the "Walter Cronkite is ailing" thread - you really couldn't imagine, in this day and age, a network news anchor reporting that, basically, "we think the president is dead, but we really don't know it for sure."

But you know what? I say, why not say something like that? You don't stop trying to confirm the news, and you make it clear that what you're saying is unconfirmed, but you're telling what is happening, what is being said - and isn't that what news reporting is really all about?

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, you also need to be at least a little bit sure and/or see other news agencies reporting the same thing. For instance, unless FOX and MSNBC are saying the same thing, if you're CNN you don't want to come on TV right now and say "Giant asteroid on a path to destroy Earth, maybe, we think. We don't really have confirmation per se but we don't have confirmation that it's not about to happen right now either."

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

But people are talking about it on Twitter!!1!!!

Seriously, if we want to retain any kind of credibility, we don't say shit like that until we have it confirmed. Let the TMZs and the Faux News outlets of the world talk about what other people are talking about.

Get it right. It's the number one rule of our profession. Let's try not to abandon it.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

On Nov. 22, 1963, CBS News did just that, both on TV and radio, with Dan Rather going on the word of two priests leaving Parkland Hospital. Not official as in from the White House press office, but good enough for Rather, and thus CBS. Other networks then followed.
    The difference? Rather gave the source, TMZ did not. But BBC used TMZ's report before any other traditional news organization, I think.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

TMZ didn't cite their source because 1.) They didn't have to, 2.) They want to use that source again and that person clearly broken the rules of hospital confidentiality so to reveal them would likely get them fired.

10. Just because most of us view TMZ's fare as frivolous doesn't mean they don't adhere to that number one rule of yours. Their track record on breaking news within their realm -- and getting it right -- suggests that there is someone with a journalism background calling shots over there.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I have always thought this, but it's getting harder. If the whole world is talking about Xxxx being Y, then how can you not at least acknowledge that the world is talking about this? This is a very good discussion we've had around here lately.

This isn't ideal news reporting as we have known it, but very little is as we have known it anymore these days. It's certainly not as black and white as it used to be.

I'll repeat my props to TMZ about being right when it comes to things of the most gravity. If I read a death on there, I'm going to have no problems putting it on the website (attributing it to TMC, of course).

The "someone with a journalism background" is Harvey Levin, who is known to many because of the People's Court, among many other things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Levin

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, they did.
    Folks who don't wanna admit it are being unrealistic.

NY Times had a bylined story yesterday about how TMZ kicked everyone's ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted