1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Jackson ceremony coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

So we've got all ABC, CBS, NBC and all of the news channels covering this ceremony.

Has there EVER been this much coverage of a memorial ceremony for somebody who never was a head of state. Diana comes to mind, but she technically was a head of state. If Elvis died today, he probably would get this kind of coverage.

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

JFK Junior's funeral?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it would be kind of odd for a performer known the world over to have a private service. These are the Jacksons. This is who they are. Thought CNN's coverage was pretty good, they added captions to the feed so you would know who was who and they cut away to people watching the ceremony from Gary, Indiana, Times Square and elsewhere.
    Though I must admit - I wouldn't mind seeing gavel to gavel coverage of a Truth Commission on the Global War on Terrorism or Sotomayor hearings. Though this is better than the usual summer staple of "Where is (cute, young missing popular female)?"

4. NDub

NDub Guest

I've disgusted by this coverage. Jackson was a performer, not a fucking head of state or hero. So what if his music was great and inspirational (to some)? The guy is an entertainer. Actually, he was, since he hasn't be relevant in almost 20 years.

What bothers me the most is that the national media is portraying someone who represents some of the worst things in society as some sort of saint. Michael Jackson was a goddamn pervert.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Another example of the declining state of journalism. I find it even sadder that so many in society actually show so much interest in such mind-numbing news.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Didn't see a minute of it. Was it as much as Russert?

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I avoided this like a Jessica Simpson concert today. Didn't watch or listen to a single minute of it.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

I turned on CNN this morning (like I always do) to catch the day's news but instead a report about the color of Michael Jackson's casket was on.

This is one of the few times I'm thankful it's been a long and busy day, as I haven't seen a television since about 9 a.m. and won't until about 11 p.m.

9. "To some." That's comical.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why is that comical?

11. Because it was said with a minimizing air.
    Like him or not, believe the allegations that surrounded him or not, but the guy was as big a deal as there's ever been in entertainment. His music was enjoyed by more than "some."

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

If it ain't all, it's some. And is sure wasn't all.

Draft saved Draft deleted