1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Irvin's induction speech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Maybe you don't know a lot of drug users and the struggle to overcome the habit. It's not a battle one always stays on top of in the battle to conquer.

2. Yawn, it wasn't just drugs in Irvin's case. He had a family at home when he was found in the apartment/hotel with the blow and the hos, screaming 'Do you know who I am.' IMO, he was always a grade A ass without much concern for anyone but himself.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Asked and answered here, I'm afraid.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To answer question No. 1: How do we know anything? Merely asking that question lends credence to my argument about the media assuming the God position. <i> If only we had a truth box or something! Then we'd know for sure </i>

Really, I don't think the media much cares whether a person is lying. In some cases, they kinda hope they do. They quote liars constantly; they're called football coaches. If the media views religion so objectively, why would the hypocrisy of those who claim it be any different?

To No. 2: I think C.S. Lewis answered that question better I can in Mere Christianity. I believe that any good thing must come from God, and if a non-believer lives what is called a moral life, it is by the common grace of their conscience given to them by God.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No idea what this answer means. Who is "you?" The media?

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

It was in the same graph, for crying out loud.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's true only if you assumed Christians led perfect lives. We make mistakes constantly. A Christian life is certainly meant to turn away from sin, but if David, a murderer and an adulterer, was a man after God's own heart, so too can Irvin be.

If you want buy bullshit about Christianity, that's your thing. But Irvin's confession in entirely in keeping with his faith. Christians can even (gasp!) question their faith.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'm calling bullshit on your running it verbatim argument. You would have cut it no matter what.

Your bias is above.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yawn, OK. Your point is proven. The sports media is biased. A bunch of god-hating heathens. This also a boad filled with the people you despise. So why not find a bible-thumping message board where you can post this stuff that no one here cares about or sees the same way, and get the affirmation you crave?

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I guess my point in the first case was that the fig leaf of piety is used too often to neutralize criticism. The senator who visits brothels now contends that the matter is between him and his God. In the eternal sense, of course, that's true. But in the meantime, it's between him and his constituents - and the argument that all justice be left to God is merely a tactic for taking the case of his failed morality and personal hypocrisy off the public docket. The final judgment is indeed that, final, but in the meantime, we have to make the earthly judgments we're compelled to make (assuming God granted us free will).

As to the second point, is the morality of a good person somehow more moral, or more good, if we assume it came from God? I'm not sure.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Who died and made you buckweaver's mindreader?

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, for one mindreader of Buck there seems to be a dozen who are an expert of mine. What's the difference?

Draft saved Draft deleted