1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Irvin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportswriter not a junky, Jan 31, 2007.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

smith isn't in yet

michael irvin should have been in before troy aikman because he was eligible a year before. both aikman and irvin are first ballot, no-doubters

i love people killing irvin on numbers, forgeting he was in the same offense as the game's all-time leading rusher

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Michael Irvin is Andre Rison, with more yardage, fewer touchdowns and the good fortune of being in the right place at the right time. Though I could see the argument if you use Swann and Stallworth as a comparison.

3. listen, i can't stand the pipemaker. i take delight each year he gets snubbed. but the dude is a hall of famer. look at his playoff numbers. the guy produced in the clutch.

4. The Basement

The Basement Member

postseason stats are always tough to go by, i think. that's a team thing that an individual just happens to benefit from.

for instance, Irvin played 16 postseason games and Andre Reed played 19, I believe. Irving Fryar played in 10. Monk played in 15.

Whitlock is right - in those playoff games, Irvin caught 87 balls for 1,1314 yards and 8 TDs.

comparatively - Reed: 85-1,230-9
    Monk: 60-1,062-7
    Fryar: 30-361-2

im not saying Irvin isn't worthy - he is - but when the one time, all-time leader in receptions (Monk) isn't in .. and he has the SB credentials ... and the stats ... and the "good guy" label .. and all that...i guess that's my issue.

and Mike wasn't the leader on those Cowboys teams...

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yes.He.Was.

6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I know it'll get brushed aside, and it's not the focus of the thread, but I agree 100 percent with Michael Gee that Troy Brown is a Hall of Fame player.

If ever there was an example of how statistics do not tell the story of a player, it is Troy Brown. He has made too many huge plays on the biggest stages in football.

I doubt he'll ever get a real sniff at the HoF, but he is a football player in the truest sense.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Troy Brown is Scott Brosius. Both made big plays on the game's biggest stages. Both have the hardware. Both were clutch. But neither was a dominant player at any time in his career and neither should get near their respective HOF.

Irvin has all those attributes and he was a dominant player. Legitimately the second-best receiver in the league during much of his career (behind only the greatest receiver in league history, Jerry Rice). Irvin should get in.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Should Eric Williams be in the HOF?

9. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I think Sterling Sharpe is a clown, but in abililty, he was far better than Michael Irvin. If he doesn't get that neck injury that ends his career, we're talking 100+ catches and 1,200 yards and 15 or more TDs for four or more seasons with a young Brett Favre at the helm.

Even then, he was a better receiver than Irvin.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agree with that completely.

As for the Troy Brown argument, that's crazy talk.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I still say no on Monk (think Fred McGriff). I agree that it's a joke that Irvin wasn't first ballot, and while you can make a case for Reed and Fryar (my instinct without checking numbers is Reed yes, Fryar no), they both line up well below Irvin. On Williams, for a decent stretch, he was the best in the league at what he did. It was longer than Terrel Davis, but as an OL it would have to be. I don't remember how long, but I think if it was 7 years before he let himself go, he eventually gets in. 5-7, I think he struggles.

12. subhead

subhead Member

Maybe so, but the injury did happen. Injury cut Irvin's career too, granted near the end, not the beginning. I know you didn't say Sharpe is more deserving, or deserving at all, so I'm not shooting your point down, just saying...

Draft saved Draft deleted