1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Irvin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportswriter not a junky, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Was watching SportsCenter Super Bowl coverage and Stuart Scott just introduced his fellow panelists at "Hall of Famer Steve Young and Hall of Fame finalist Michael Irvin."

This has nothing to do with this Super Bowl. But I think it's absolutely travesty that Michael Irvin is not in the Hall of Fame. That's my rant.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm happy he's not in the HOF.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If he can promise not to come on TV or radio anymore, I'd fully support his entry into the Hall.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It's a farce he's not in yet. He was the emotional leader of a team that won 3 Super Bowls, notwithstanding his own personal accomplishments.

That Steve Young made it in before Irvin is one of the worst 'statements' that the NFL's HOF voters have ever made. An absolute joke.

Irvin should be elected this year. We'll see if he does, and if the HOF voters take their votes seriously.

There are many problems with Ira Miller as a columnist. But his heading up of the 'voting block' which has kept Irvin out of the HOF is more egregious than any of his myriad other issues. It is an embarrassment to the NFL, and to himself. The height of unprofessionalism.

Goodell has tried hard to make a strong impression as a new commissioner, and he has, IMO, done pretty well. Let's hope his close oversight of the league extends to the HOF voting.

5. The Basement

The Basement Member

michael irvin is not a hall of famer.

at least not until Art Monk, Andre Reed and Irving Fryar get in

for the record: Irvin 21st all time in receptions, 14th in yards and t43rd in TDs.
    yes, yes, the 3 Super Bowls do count for something...but its not everything

6. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

I second that, its more a "travesty" he still has a TV job than he isn't in the HOF

7. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

as for 'Booyaa' Scott, that is a whole new topic

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Total horsecrap. I'll give you Monk, even though he was never the focal point of an offense. Reed and Fryar? Give me a break. They never won bleep.

9. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

might as well throw Jimmy Smith in too ... shit, anyone who ever was a number one receiver should go in ... bullshit! ... the HOF is supposed to be selective, not every boaderline HOFer gets in ... deal with it

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

F you. You deal with that. Irvin isn't a borderline player, which is why he's been a finalist several times. It's Miller and his bitch accolytes who have been keeping it out for their own personal reasons. That's called abuse of power. Deal with that, assmunch.

The reason Irvin keeps coming up as a finalist is because the other HOF voters are trying to gently nudge Miller and his bitches to do the right thing, without publicly calling them out. But so far, Ira has been unwilling to let his personal grudges go. Miller is a bleeping joke, and should be removed from the HOF board, immediately, by Goodell.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I call bullshit on that RokSki. Reed helped the Bills win 4 AFC titles and 4 straight Super Bowls. Yes, they didn't win, but Jim Kelly and Frank Reich were chucking the ball to Reed when a big play was needed. Fryar was an excellent TE for the Iggles.

Speaking of Ira Miller, I hope someone from SportsJournalists.comville who is in Miami, find Peter King and lock his ass up with a keg of frappe from Starbucks and keep him away while the HOF writers vote in Art Monk this weekend. Monk deserves to be in there before Irvin or if Irvin does get in, it's mandatory to elect Monk along with the Pipemaker or in 2008. Monk was a consistent threat for defenders as a Redskin. His numbers speak for itself and he has played in Super Bowls as well.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Ira Miller couldn't hold Peter King's jock. That's how much people hate King for blocking Monk year after year.

If this was baseball, Irvin would never get in, since off-field behavior is included in the process. Irvin will eventually get in, but I don't think it should be this year. '08 or '09 is a better choice. Now, if we can get him off the damn t.v. screen...

Draft saved Draft deleted