1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Hurricanes Leaving the Orange Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 21, 2007.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yea, but having multiple teams play there (including the HS championships) combined with the weather from October on makes Heinz Field possibly the worst playing surface in the NFL.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's no place to put it. They're completely landlocked and I doubt the city of Coral Gables would let them do it anyway.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They were barely able to squeeze in a small Convocation Center for basketball recently. There's just no space for a football stadium.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When you consider the number of national-championship teams from USC and UCLA that played there; the number of Heisman Trophy winners from USC and UCLA who called it their home field; several Super Bowls, including the first, that were played there; several NFL championship games with the Los Angeles Rams that were played there, the USC-Notre Dame classics played there, and the 1967 USC-UCLA 21-20 classic, which is as great a college football game as has ever been played, nothing tops the LA Memorial Coliseum. It's also the only venue that an AFL and NFL team called home in the same season (1960).

The fact that some of this stuff happened on the West Coast, not the east, and before ESPN, and before half of this board was born, doesn't change anything.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Three NFL championships hosted. Two Super Bowls. You are stretching.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

What about the Cotton Bowl from 60-62, with the Cowboys and the Texans?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I got this in my e-mail yesterday:

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Been to the Orange Bowl many times when I lived down that way and I'll concede, it's had better games/moments than the Rose Bowl, but the OB is a complete dump, "charm" and "character" and all. I'll take the Rose Bowl from a viewing standpoint any day.

Now, comparing the Coliseum and the OB is a different situation. And when you throw in the above and also the fact it's hosted two Olympics, I think the Coliseum has it beat.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My bad about the Cotton Bowl. I meant the first to host an AFL/NFL team in the same seasons.

And any edge the OB might have in Super Bowls is far, far outweighed by the history of college football in the Coliseum.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

m-guy, I have to respectfully disagree. (Especially since, I don't know you but I'm guessing, we could get together at a nearby bar and debate this topic):

Here's the five biggest games at the OB. In terms of drama, excitement and historical significance, I don't think you can pick five games at any other venue that compare:

1. Super Bowl III
    2. Chargers-Dolphins
    3. 1984 Orange Bowl
    4. Hail Flutie
    5. Super Bowl XIII

The fact that SBs II, V and X, 1985 Bears-Dolphins and the '95 OB can't make this list says a lot.

The L.A. Coliseum is this country's biggest sports venue treasure, no question. I can't think of another place that has hosted a Super Bowl, World Series and Olympics.

But the Orange Bowl is this country's biggest football venue treasure, no question.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Good. Maybe my school will finally have a chance to beat those turds. (OU)

12. KP

KP Active Member

Rentschler Field in East Hartford is a shade under 25 miles from UConn. (Yes, I understand words 3-5 in the post hardly fits the description of UConn.)

Draft saved Draft deleted