1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Hurricanes Leaving the Orange Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Speedway

Speedway Member

This according to UM official release:

Q: How far is Dolphin Stadium from UM's campus?

A: The Stadium is located in Miami Gardens about 21 miles from the University's Coral Gables campus.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The major problem is that UM will have to be stacked on consecutive days with the Dolphins for the first 2-3 home games of the season because of the Marlins.

Man, the Dolphins could have a couple awful games injury-wise, and/or on one of those late-September baseball games, an infielder could lose his jewels, or an eye.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I feel like taking the elevator down to the field and tearing down the stadium myself! [/lamarthomas]

4. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't ask this to be confrontational, but have you ever heard of that problem there or at Qualcomm/Jack Murphy or Memorial in Baltimore, etc

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It may not be that bad.

College teams start 1-2 weekend before NFL does, and many college schedules usually have a bye week somewhere in the first month. UM is also a popular Thursday team. College schedules can be flexible when they need to be.

I would guess that a typical season would have no more than one college-NFL back-to-back. Not ideal, but manageable if the field is kept in good shape (as Dolphin Stadium usually is).

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the Marlins could build their new stadium (if Wayne finally gets his way) on the site of the Orange Bowl.

For as long as I have watched the Fins and the Canes in that place, yeah it's a dump, but it was a dump with character and charm. That's how Texas and Oklahoma are seeing the Cotton Bowl and letting Dallas know either fix it up, build a new one, or forget having us there during State Fair time.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Texas and OU just extended their Cotton Bowl deal through 2012.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So, Jack Murphy used to host the Padres, Chargers, and San Diego State. The Astrodome used to host the Oilers, Astros and Cougar High. The Vet hosted the Phillies, Eagles and Temple* and now Dolphins Stadium. Meadowlands in the 80s had the Jets, Giants and Rutgers. Am I missing anyone?

I dont believe Temple ever played a full season at the Vet, with some games scheduled for Franklin Field.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

More ...

USC played at the L.A. Coliseum with both the Rams and Raiders.

Washington shared its stadium with the Seahawks for a few years.

The Superdome was shared by the Saints and Tulane.

The Metrodome by the Vikings and Gophers.

For a brief period in the 80s, the Bengals and U of Cincinnati shared Riverfront.

The Steelers shared in Pitt Stadium with Pitt and the Eagles played in Franklin Field with Penn in the 60s.

I believe the Patriots used both Boston U. and Harvard's fields during their nomadic Boston Patriots days.

The Giants used the Yale Bowl in the 70s.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was going for stadiums with three simultaneous tenants, and U of Minn. totally slipped my mind, as did the L.A. Ghettolium.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because I lack your bias ;D ... my vote goes to this place:

[​IMG]

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid post.

Draft saved Draft deleted