1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Hurricanes Leaving the Orange Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 21, 2007.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

From what I've heard Dolphin Stadium isn't exactly in the best of neighborhoods.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Miami Gardens isn't exactly South Beach but Dolphin Stadium is surrounded by nothing but parking lots as far as the eye can see. The Orange Bowl was woven into the fabric of Little Havana.

Dallas-area SportsJournalists.commers will appreciate this. Denne Freeman used to say that the neighborhood around the Orange Bowl made Fair Park look like Highland Park.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

Wow. That bad huh?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

True that. The neighborhood around the Orange Bowl is pretty bad. Of course it was built in the 1930s, so that stands to reason.

Miami has the biggest contrast of destitute poverty and obscene opulence I've ever seen. I was all over the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area during Super Bowl week and I'm not sure I ever saw a middle class neighborhood, though I'm sure they're around somewhere.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The neighborhood around the Orange Bowl is not nearly as bad as some people depict. It's a working-class Cuban/Hispanic neighborhood. I've covered dozens of UM games and Orange Bowls there in the past and never feared for my life.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Is the area around the Orange Bowl as bad as the similar area near Legion Field in Birmingham? The latter wasn't any great shakes.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's not Pinecrest or anything, but the area around the OB is solidly lower middle class. Trust me, Liberty City, Overtown or even the western part of the Grove are 10 times worse.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Yeah, Legion Field is not in the nicest part of town. I remember going to a game there once as a fan.... parking on the street was free, except for the African-Americans who hung out and jumped on the back of your trunk to show you "where to park."
    You paid them $10 just to park on the street - and everybody paid, because God knows what would happen to your car if you didn't.

9. Speedway

Speedway Member

Agreed. I actually enjoyed the uniqueness of the neighborhood near the OB. If you are talking Miami, the area (Overtown) around the Miami Arena (the original home for the Heat and Panthers) was much more of an issue for visitors.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

UM started sucking when they started heavily recruiting Broward.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Without qualification, the site of the greatest collection of football moments of any venue.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

So which major college program plays the farthest away from their campus? It's got to be either Miami beginning in 2008 or UCLA. Dolphin Stadium is not close at all to Miami's campus.

Draft saved Draft deleted