1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald Super Bowl week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

To be clear, I was only referring to the flashback series.

I thought the seven deadly sins and much of the rest was ponderous and uninteresting.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That is a spot-on description of the dilemma dacing newspapers, especially those in competitive markets.

3. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Chicago Trib's Monday a.m. headline:

UNBEARABLE!

How the hell can a paper that has been writing on the Bears for decades come up with a main headline that lame? UNBEARABLE should be off limits for any paper on a Bears story, ESPECIALLY a Chicago paper.

I was in Miami all week and preferred the Sentinel and the Herald to the Trib (the Trib was shipped to media headquarters). It's just, IMO.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Sure. How about WHO'S BEEN SLEEPING IN MY BED? [/three bears]

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I agree with Brett on the enterprise stuff. I also agree with the notion that there's often more information in the sports section than a person can digest. But that's not always a bad thing. Variety is good, and people have different interests. The best way to go, of course, is to balance enterprise with other stuff. I didn't see the section, but I wonder how much of it was filler. It might be helpful to see some of the pages, and it would shed a lot of light if we knew how things went from concept to print. It's possible that the ME called for sports to run a 20-page section daily. In other words, it might have been a project that was thrust upon the department.

6. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

The Chicago Tribune was the paper that banned game stories, right? Maybe I missed this mentioned above, but did it have one for the Super Bowl? Did they back off their decision?

Draft saved Draft deleted