1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald Sunday SE leaving. Will he be replaced?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MGoBlue, Jan 30, 2009.

1. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Are longer hours, fewer days off and the newspaper industry in general taking more of a toll?

Just heard that the Herald's Sunday sports editor is leaving after less than a year on the job. Sources say he's not leaving for another job, but has just 'had enough.' Sources add that the Herald might not necessarily fill the job (which, if you know how the Herald works, would be absolutely amazing if true). Like other papers, the Herald is down to the bare minimum.

The plot thickens ...

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Another paper in bad, bad shape, but at least they're staffing the Super Bowl.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who is the Sunday Editor?

4. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Y'all have the gender wrong, I believe.

I believe their Sunday Sports Editor is Lori Shontz, who is hands-down one of the very best people in this business, in terms of both writing and editing talent. Just a fabulous person and talent.

5. Moderator1

Yeah, I thought Lori had taken that job. I second what Pendleton said about her. I have not heard that she's leaving.

6. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

1HP chews up and spits out everybody, eventually. Some handle the pace and pressure better/longer than others. This departure would be no different, no sign, no more alarming than any of the countless others. As F_R has said, this place ain't for everybody.
    As for filling, 1HP has gone without plenty lately. Rest assured, somebody will perform the task, with or without the title, and Ma Herald will roll on.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

She's the one who left St. Louis? is that right?

8. Moderator1

That is right. And Lori isn't just up and leaving Miami because she's had enough. She has another job, one that will put her much closer to her family and her husband's family. A good move for her.

9. Moderator1

My bad. Senior Editor, The Penn Stater. The school's alumni magazine. She may also have a chance to do some teaching there.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know several former newspaper folks who landed at university alumni magazines. Solid gigs.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

shit, i would if i could!

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As a fellow 1HP graduate, that nails it. And I did that job as well. It's not for everyone, though I liked it. Mostly.

Draft saved Draft deleted