1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald outsourcing production jobs to India

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bill Brasky, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Understand. Was being gentle, towards those in Deep Denial.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I found out about a lot of this a few months back.
    McClatchey was shifting customer service people around and decided that outside of a major call center in Miami (which would hold a vast majority of the U.S. customer service people) the rest would be doing so from overseas.
    The day we talked about it at my last shop, I overheard a woman outside telling someone on the other end of a phone call that she was offered to move from where we were -- a fairly cheap part of the country -- to Miami -- one of the more expensive spots around.
    Just to make it better, again I overheard, to accept the transfer instead of being outright out of job, she also had to accept a pay cut.
    I was a little ticked off, and it wasn't even my situation.

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'm reminded of a Doonesbury strip from a few years back. In it, an engineer outsourced his own job to India without telling his boss. The gist of it, as he explained it to Mike Doonesbury, is that he e-mailed tasks to a guy in India who worked for 40 cents on the dollar, and that guy sent the finished work back overnight. The American engineer pocketed the difference between his salary and what he was paying the guy in India.

"Isn't your boss suspicious at all," Doonesbury asked.

"No, no," the engineer replied. "I just insert a mistake or two before I submit the work to my boss. He can't tell the difference."

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ah, the wonderful, treat-people-right chain that McClatchy is supposed to be. Guess that ship's now sailed.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Where is Heath Ledger when you really need him to shove something up a Gyllenhaal's ass?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As soon as they can teach the 8-year-old sweatshop workers to proofread, it's a done deal.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

brilliant

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, unless they're headed to New Delhi, too, sounds like they're getting the ultra-violent Bootsian treatment.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Try the towns that used to be French colonies

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, then. That settles it. the Miami Herald and Dell can ride the same train to hell.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fed Ex has done it, and they screw up everything they touch.

Wish Vegas had taken all of Fred Smith's money at the 21 tables.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

As much as I complain about our ad and production departments, it's always nice to know that things could be much, much worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted