1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald ombudsman on Jason Taylor coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jun 8, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

what was involved in the Kentucky Derby fiasco?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As a reader, if I see the newspaper's name on the web page the blog appears, I'm assuming it follows the same rules as the newspaper.

If a blog writer writes that my neighbor beats his wife and is wrong or does it with shady sources, is the newspaper shielded from a lawsuit? I'm guessing no.

I read a few blogs, and one writer does a good job explaining his blog. He says it's basically stuff that was cut from the story when he sent it to the editor, or it could be a topic or story that is sort of interesting but just not good enough for print.

It's just extra crap. Maybe it is something comparable to extras on DVD. Things that were created, but just not good enough for the polished copy.

It costs nothing to post a blog.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Funny Cide jockey Jose Santos sued The Herald for libel in 2005 after the newspaper published a story indicating he may have carried an illegal object in his hand during the 2003 Derby.

The Herald had a photo that looked like he may have a buzzer in his hand. Their main racing guy was a freelancer who asked Santos about it and his response sounded like it may have been an admission but there apparently was a communication problem.

Santos settled with the paper.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Santos had one of those bracelets called a Q ring or something like that and, in his heavily accented English, it sounded like he was saying he had something else.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

It is a lot to ask at a large daily. Between HR, budgets, meetings, planning etc., you might not know what's in the paper - specifically - until it lands on your doorstep.
    It was flagged, it should have been done a bit further down the foodchain and brought ot his attention

6. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Someone above mentions a paper with five deputy sports editors. That paper still exists????????

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Also, the lede to that original story was the fact the Kentucky Derby stewards had opened an investigation into the race.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It was touched on with a couple throwaway lines, but it is worth repeating with this guy accusing Taylor (and many others) of unethical behavior. There is absolutely NO striking out the word "lie" when it comes to Salguero.

On Sunday, Dec. 21, 2003, the Miami Dolphins won in Buffalo 20-3 to stay alive in the playoff race. To maintain that status, they needed the Colts to beat Denver that night in Indianapolis.

Well, the Denver running back went off the hook and had 160 total yards as the Broncos won 31-17, eliminating the Dolphins.

At some point as the elimination became apparent, Jason Cole and Salguero high-fived after a Broncos touchdown in the Buffalo hotel bar.

This got back to Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga who, seething, brought this incredible lack of professionalism up at a press conference introducing Dan Marino as the team's GM.

Cole apparently called Huizenga and apologized profusely.

Salguero? The guy calling Jason Taylor a liar? He said that he wasn't cheering the Dolphins' demise at all.

He responded to at least one fan on the board finheaven.com thusly: "I high-fived a run by Clinton Portis, who is a former University of Miami player and a friend. I attended the University of Miami."

One detail: Quentin Griffin played that game for the inactive Clinton Portis.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f40/merged-did-armando-salguero-lie-30413-5.html

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Problem with this is that these opinions, at least the ones that will cost a publicly traded company a shitload of money and logoed merchandise at some point, are based on "facts" that haven't passed muster to ever be solid enough to report in a newspaper. Talk about fruits from a poisonous tree.

My opinion is if you allow that shit to go unedited, you will get sued. Not a matter of if, just when.

As papers get smaller, an editing shift or two should be eliminated from night product and added in throughout the cycle. A couple 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.'ers just for blogs and other internet editing.

10. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

License for our columnists? Yes, but not license to be irresponsible.

If, for example, our friend Jay Mariotti wrote a column saying that John Paxson is "lying" about whom he interviewed for the Bulls' coaching job, I would hope the Sun-Times sports editor would ask for some damn good sources to back that up.

Draft saved Draft deleted