1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald ombudsman on Jason Taylor coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Speedway

Speedway Member

Miami Herald ombudsman on Jason Taylor coverage in print and blogs:

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/other_views/story/561076.html

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Interesting...

What I thought the most interesting aspect of it was that Rojas only saw the Salguero blog when the ombudsman showed him. If it was the next day, I have no problem with that, but I think for the most part the SE should know what's in the section, whether it's online or in print.

To be fair, these days that's a lot to ask.

I'm not a Salguero fan, but I don't think he did anything that most columnists don't do. Sure, it might be more PC to say that Taylor is disingenuous rather than call him a liar, but I don't have a problem with what he wrote.

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

When sports editor Rojas concedes that the sources "were not the greatest," that is a huge red flag.

The other problem is Salguero's complete lack of grace in his writing.

4. Mizzougrad96

I've never fully understood what Salguero's role has been since his failed (worst ever) stint at ESPN. I've heard everything from co-Dolphins beat writer to NFL columnist to regular columnist.

I'm sure some of the departures (Cole, DLB) have changed that a bit.

5. hurricane

hurricane Member

Especially just a few years after the Kentucky Derby fiasco.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not the greatest?
    Did anyone know that beforehand?
    When you use sources, you best be sure they are rock solid great.

7. Mizzougrad96

Well, you get the sense he was trying not to completely throw Salguero under the bus.

8. Moderator1

The person who allowed material from "not the greatest" sources has some serious explaining to do.
    Newspapers must get it right. Plain and simple. It isn't that hard.
    How can the readers trust "sources" if someone is admitting they are not the "greatest?"
    This boggles my mind.

9. Mizzougrad96

The biggest problem is that very few blogs have to go through the copy desk. It was unclear to me if this mention was in a column, or just the blog.

A lot of SEs like it this way so they can pretend not to know what's on the blog.

10. Moderator1

If you are throwing it into your paper or on your paper's Web site, the standards are the same. Period. If you are an SE and one of your charges is producing it, you are responsible. Period.
    Our crew had to run blogs items - extra, we called them, extra - by me or by the deputy SE (who is now the SE) before they went online. I made it clear they were welcome to call me at home ANY TIME and tell me to check my e-mail if they wanted to post at an odd hour (I didn't want them bugging the desk chief on deadline). Same rules apply online as they do in print - taste, fairness and ACCURACY.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the rules are different for blogs -- though I'm not sure what they are.

I think it's fine to let some of the disapproval of Taylor wanting to play for a "winner" show through.

But when an athlete takes the time to speak to use and lay out his position and do it in a way that at least could be sincere, it doesn't do the industry any favors to bash that person for it.

12. Mizzougrad96

I agree completely. But it doesn't happen at most places.

Draft saved Draft deleted