1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald moving out of Doral offices...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Jun 9, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

...staff to work from home. Also DC office. Also Charlotte Observer.

I'm sure McClatchy will help employees with mortgages/rent.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The new norm, I suspect.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Why does anyone need an office anymore?

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"We are investing in people over place" is something newspapers, in my experience, never, ever do.

As an ME said once, as he denied a request from reporters to attend a statewide newspaper seminar, "You'll just learn something you can use at your next job."

Newspapers invest in new equipment, or in property. Never in their employees.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Yeah, right. This is strictly a cost-cutting effort. The company realized working remotely is now a viable option, and they can save a ton of money on rent for a large buidling.

This is good news for the Miami reporters because, for those who don't know, Doral is in western Miami-Dade County, and commuting there is an absolute nightmare, especially for people who live downtown and in Broward County, to the north.

I won't be surprised if this becomes the norm. And, if the Herald gets the new office, it'll be tiny, with plug-and-play desks for people who must work at the office.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to work a newspaper job from home, though. There's nothing like the constant buzz of a good newsroom.

On top of that, you lose connections when the group dynamic is removed. Much like the connections between writers and editors were diminished when they weren't required to come into the office anymore on a daily basis. Who wouldn't jump at that chance, of course, but a lot of the fun went away when the writers weren't around to shoot the shit with anymore. A lot of productive conversations and interactions came along back in those days, too.

But there's no going back, at least for now. Everything is so different now anyway, and that's just one part of it.

bpoindexter, studthug12 and HanSenSE like this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it's definitely a pain getting out to Doral. And if it helps them save money, good for them.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I never thought working from home would be possible in my gig, at least not long-term. I really don't like it. But I have a feeling I might not see the inside of the newsroom again, either because this will be the new way of doing it or because of layoffs.

And the thought of never being in a newsroom again makes me sad.

playthrough likes this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Does this even newed to be collectively bargained? And, not every person can work from home, for a variety of reasons.

Oh, and asshole McClatchy.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was working in a Media News Group bureau about three or four years ago and they were all set to have us work from home until someone figured out they needed a physical address in the city to sell legal ads, so we remained. By then, the bureau was down to me, a sales rep and an ad assistant.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I certainly don’t. Working from home is great. I like the flexibility.

SFIND likes this.
  12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The quicker you can adapt to working from home, the better off you'll be. There are a lot of reporters, especially freelancers, who work remotely. You'll be better off.

Draft saved Draft deleted