1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

miami herald county government reporter gets new gig as ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by whatwoulddamondo?, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Interesting situation in Miami

All sorts of interesting situations in Miami.

2. If you believe him. If you believe his coworkers, something's up.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

See no problem here. The reporter, after all, had editors and supervisors who were supposed to be judging his performance by his copy and by the quality of his stories. If none of them had a problem with his work that led directly to any sit-down chat or formal evaluation, then he must have been doing a satisfactory job.

It's like a school or a team complaining that a certain reporter is too tough on them. Any editor who breathes life into that is basically saying, "Yeah, I don't evaluate what my reporter writes before it goes into the paper." An editor who is doing his job knows whether or not a reporter is slanting coverage, without waiting to learn that, doh!, he just took a job with the source in some sudden conflict of interest.

4. True, but an editor has no way of knowing all that is said between a reporter and a source, and whether a reporter is reporting all relevant information. It's kind of hard to tell something is slanted if you don't know all the information.

5. had an editor do that once to me. he even went as far as meeting with team members. yeah, that was a sh*t show...

Draft saved Draft deleted