1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

miami herald county government reporter gets new gig as ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by whatwoulddamondo?, Sep 28, 2008.

1. a county administrator. for six figures.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2008-09-25/news/conflict-of-interest-at-the-miami-herald/1

the article goes on to mention some questions in his coverage of the county.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Screw that. If I could have gotten a PR job through my connections on my last beat, I'd have jumped at it. We had people leave for jobs tangentially related to their job all the time.

3. big difference, ma'am, when it's covering the rich and the famous, and it's dealing with our tax dollars.

not saying it is wrong necessarily that he took that job... but if you click the link, you'll see that other reporters had issues with his work there. could they just be jealous? sure, i guess. but i'd like to take them at some face value, too, just like i'll take at face value his view on the issue.

4. imjustagirl

Which is fair. And most of the people I was talking about did something news side. I think we had one leave to join the local government too, working for the mayor.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Covering business and government now, I find many communications directors are former television and print journos. Administrators? Haven't run across that yet. But with the state this business is in, I can't fault anyone for moving on.

6. I don't know the guy but I bet the outrage has something to do with his personality.

Some reporters are offered jobs by the people they cover because they're just that good. Others lobby for a job while they're supposed to be a reporter. I've seen it happen and it's disgusting. (I know of a reporter who agreed to be a candidate's spokesperson if that candidate won an election for sheriff. And yes, the reporter was covering the election.)

Personally, I cover county government (among other things) and I can't envision anyone I cover offering me a job. I get along with most everybody but not that well. Not even close.

But if someone were to offer me a job I would definitely consider taking it in these times.

7. I'm more intested in the ed. reporte having the affair with the super.
    At the bottom of the article it said the reporer just left the Bosotn Globe after this relationship came to light.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Editorial editor at a former paper just took the job as PIO of the city the paper covers. Guy didn't spare anyone his wrath so I find it curious the city has no problem with the broadsword spreading the good word.

9. At least now he won't be using that sword on them.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Name one. :D

11. imjustagirl

Ha! Not him. That wasn't related to his job at all. Kind of. :D

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I read the article. He said he told his bosses when the job offer came and that it was out of the blue. He didn't write another story about the county after that. The stories they cited didn't even seem incriminating. It all sounds legit to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted