1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald: Congratualtions Heat!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

An ad for Macy's ran in Monday's Miami Herald, congratulating the Heat on winning the NBA title, and notifying readers where can pick up their Heat championship gear.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/06/miami_herald_runs_macys_ad_con.php

Of course, they lost. And worse, had the Heat won last night, the series would only have been 3-3.

Stupid, foolish, and shameful.

EDIT: Said the poster who mis-typed Congratulations!

2. Someone ran the wrong ad obviously.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Congratulations Miami Herald! You did it again!

Signed,
    1998 Minnesota Vikings Super Bowl Participants

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nothing gets past you...

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

This was obviously the third world addition, since they'll be getting all the Heat championship gear.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This was my analysis as well.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, it's funny you mention that, because the Herald DID do something called the Clipper that went to South America and such. Frank Ridgeway or somebody would know more about whether that's still the case.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Apropos nothing, but something I've long wondered. Whether it's the NBA Finals, Super Bowl, World Series or whatever, gear is produced proclaiming two different teams as the champions. When the one team loses, who swallows the cost of producing and shipping the now-inaccurate championship material? Is it the manufacturer, the team or someone else?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What did the Gimbel's ad say?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The cost is minimal, because they only pre-produce enough to get them through the first day and to have enough to show in the ads.

I read somewhere that the two years where they lost the most money on pre-produced championship garb was when the Packers lost to the Broncos and when the Patriots lost to the Giants.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Congratualtions, indeed!

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Clipper is long gone, even before I got to 1HP in the early 2000s.

I stand corrected. The Clipper did go away but then it came back and lasted until a couple of years ago, but it was done separate from the main sports desk.

Draft saved Draft deleted