1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami-Florida State question/Lobby whitlock on his AP ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Sep 4, 2006.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Agreed, but it would not be a stretch for Louisville to still beat The U.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, I love Brian Brohm's game but he can't do this by himself. Pat White and Steve Slaton are going to be a handful. I also think Kevin McLee(linebacker) will help contain Louisville's offense.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's a flawed way of thinking.

Tennessee lost Jamal Lewis in Week 5 in 1998 . . . and went on to win its final 8 games and the national championship.

College football is about depth. It's not who you lose but who is there to replace him.

UT had Travis Henry and Travis Stephens.

And it appears Louisville has some fine backups, too.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That's fine to compare the two, but U of L is much, much more than Bush. Louisville's talent is similar to USC's on offense. They can win on the ground or in the air.

Oklahoma lives and dies with Peterson. If he goes down, OU is done.

5. louisville can prove me wrong and i'm not afraid to admit a mistake and adjust my vote... it's sept. 5....not december 5...

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's the entire point with WVU. They're the ones who need to prove themselves. You may be proven right in the long run with what they do against the goofiest schedule this side of Gardner-Webb, but you've left yourself no wiggle room if they win ugly.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Bush is no Adrian Peterson, but couldn't this be akin to what Miami went through in 2003 when Frank Gore got hurt?

Jarrett Payton, Jason Geathers and Tyrone Moss weren't anything special, but did enough to help the 'Canes reach a BCS bowl. I'd like to think Louisville's backups can do the same.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Miami-Florida State question

Not even maybe, the Broncos should definitely not be in the poll. They are coming off of a down season for them and they beat a I-AA team 48-0 at home, what the hell have they proved? BSU should even be getting votes unless they hammer Oregon State and destroy the rest of the WAC. They have a soft schedule made even softer by playing I-AA teams.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Just squint your eyes a little bit and you can see Miami, VT and BC back on WVU's schedule ... Rodriguez didn't ask to have them taken off....

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know it was last year, but why does West Virginia need to prove itself after what it did to Georgia in the Sugar Bowl? You know they're a good team and are going to rack up wins. If they had beaten the three teams DOB just mentioned in succession, they shouldn't have anything left to prove to the critics.

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

And it's not like they're dodging "name" teams -- they've got Auburn, Michigan State and Florida State in upcoming seasons. They scheduled Mississippi State two years ago when it was thought the Bullies would be decent by now.

And this week's opponent, I-AA Eastern Washington, is a last-minute replacement for a drop. I'm sure WVU politely asked Texas to drop Ohio State and come to Morgantown, but the 'Horns said no thanks. Last week's Marshall game was force-fed down WVU's throat by the governor.

And like DOH said, it wasn't like WVU dropped Miami, VT and BC -- they bolted from the Big East and left WVU holding the bag.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, count me among those who don't understand wvu 'needing to prove something'

seriously, it's coming up on week 2 -- who has proven much of anything? florida state's proved something. tennessee proved a little something. besides that? eh... but only west virginia needs to prove something

Draft saved Draft deleted