1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Dolphins beat, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Dec 7, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, saw that. Jolt to the system, but that's the biz these days, and it's hit SoFla particularly hard.

And $57 million to remove the best view from a newsroom in the country for ... Doral.

1MHDoralGrad

Sigh.

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/120127/mni8-k.html

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I think the Herald would pay more $70,000 for a Herald beat writer if it hired from the outside. And that is hardly certain. The actual salary isn't a big issue for the paper, it's hiring anyone at all.

3. Bunk_Moreland

Bunk_Moreland New Member

As has been expressed here, this job won't pay close to 70K. Maybe it would have about 10 years ago. Nowhere close now. Subtract a 2 from the front number and you'd be about right. Good job and all, but Tribune Co. -- at least the Florida version of it -- pays far less than it once did. And that goes for any position, NFL beat or otherwise.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

If you go back to my comment, it was regarding a potential Miami Herald opening. They certainly paid more than $70,000 the last time they hired a Dolphins writer a few years ago. But they might in fact hire no one.

And unless you're the sports editor at the Sun Sentinel / Orlando Sentinel, or his boss, you don't know what the heck they are going to pay. They could decide they want to air it out a bit for the Dolphins beat and do whatever they want. Pay scales are made to be manipulated.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't doubt the money rumors are true. Tribune Co. Has gotten crazy cheap over the last few years. I know of people who have interviewed there, thinking they were about to be offered their dream job only to turn it down when they made an offensives financial offer.

It's not a coincidence that most of the openings have been filled by prep writers who were promoted.

6. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Amen Mizzougrad96. When I saw that figure I knew that was way way high. And what will limit their ability to land a big-time outside hire is the Tribune Company's current stance of not covering moving expenses. So to cover a great beat you will have to be low-balled and then go into debt getting there and possibly be in jeopardy of being laid off within a year. Most would say no thanks. But it is a great gamble for someone who can afford it. This will be interesting, but trust Tim will make a good hire.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's one thing to get a low salary offer -- that's just the way it is nowadays in many businesses -- but not covering moving expenses (if that's true here) is a big black eye to me. Inexcusable.

8. Mizzougrad96

This one is done.

Damn good hire too... No NFL experience, but comes from a huge beat.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sun Sentinel is hiring Izzy Gould, University of Alabama beat writer for the Mobile Register.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nice pickup, S-S!!

11. Mizzougrad96

Great hire. Great guy.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

From everything I've read here, that's a real nice get.

Draft saved Draft deleted