1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Dolphins beat, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jwoodso1

jwoodso1 New Member

Thanks for the words, guys. Like I said, it's a complete pipe dream and something I will definitely try to get into in the future years. I know a guy who runs a weekly that covers high school, South Carolina and Clemson so I'm trying to get on part-time there to get my feet in the door. My uncle is friends with Chris Low, SEC blogger at ESPN, so I'm definitely going to send my resume his way once I get it done to see what he can do/advice he can give.

2. seravaf

seravaf New Member

What's the latest on this gig? Has it been filled?

Anyone have a good guess on the pay range?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing pay will be in the 70s. It's paid more than that in the past, but Tribune Co. has been stunning people with how low some offers have been although not necessarily for this job...

4. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Wow. That high? I'm definitely in the wrong market.

5. Wont even be close to that.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Do you actually have reason to think that, hated? They're looking for a senior NFL writer for one of the biggest papers in Florida. If they don't offer $70K, they're not getting a senior NFL writer.

7. Absolutely I do. When new hire is made, doubt they'll be a seasoned NFL beat person. Will just say, "that's what I heard."

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well, that's a damn shame if true. I suppose I don't know how much Barry Jackson of The Miami Herald and Brian Biggane of The Palm-Beach Post make. But anything less than $70,000 is insulting if you want to call it a senior position.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, B-Jax has been at 1 Herald Plaza -- which goes away in May 2013 *sniff* -- for many, many years, though he's not the Dolphins lead writer. Apples-to-pineapples comparison.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Who is? I initially typed Armando Salguero, but I remembered he had become a columnist. So I went to the site, and it looked like Jackson was leading the charge on the coaching hires stories.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Because B-Jax is super-connected. Nothing new with him breaking news on stuff like the new coach and staff.

Salguero is the lead on the beat.

12. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

"Something-Something-Doral-Way-Grad" is kinda wordy, MileHigh. Think I'll stick with 1HPGrad, though I knew the moment after I registered I should have selected 1HPSurvivor.
    And I'd be shocked if the S S paid close to that, but I'd be just as surprised if they actually go outside for the hire.
    Mentioned this on another thread, but I was down there last week. Hadn't seen the S S in a year. Picked up Sunday section and there were 3 NFL bylines from LAT's Sam Farmer, 2 Chicago Tribune stories and several Orlando Sentinel stories. The OS writers are IDed as "staff writers." I knew they were sharing, but that was a bit much. Had no local feel whatsoever.

Draft saved Draft deleted