1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Dolphins beat, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

It's less competitive than Dallas Cowboys and Chicago Bears. Similiar to San Fran 49ers.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With ESPN Dallas and ESPN Chicago, both which have outstanding NFL writers, those beats are probably among the most competitive in the country. I think this one is right there as well.

What's amazing about the Dolphins beat is that over the last decade how many people have come in, done well and moved on to bigger and better jobs very quickly.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Still a competitive beat, but all the content sharing between the three papers -- not on this beat but still -- makes it less, well, fun.

4. Mizzougrad96

I guess it was a decade or so ago, but when it was Archer vs. Marvez vs. Cole, there were days when there were significant scoops in each paper on any given day.

SF is right, it's probably not the same now...

5. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Jason Cole has been missed down there. The young guys who followed weren't in the same league, and that's not an intended knock. But, like football, the veterans have big advantages.

6. Mizzougrad96

It shouldn't be seen as a knock at all. Cole is one of the best NFL writers in the country and he's been doing it forever.

I thought Darlington did a great job as well and it's no surprise that he was hired by the NFL Network.

Marvez, Schad, Archer, Graham, Darlington, Cole, Bedard, Skolnick... I know I'm forgetting people and that's just in the last several years...

I definitely agree that Cole is the best of a very, very talented bunch.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think there's a big difference between the Dolphins beat, which has proven a tremendous proving ground for NFL writers, and the Bears and Cowboys beats, which are fiercely competitive to this day. Chicago, in particular, is actually fairly hostile. The Sun-Times and Tribune have the best sports-desk rivalry left in the business, and ESPN Chicago has proven to be much more than a third wheel.

Both beats are helped by the facts that the teams are constantly mired in some new controversy and the fans are among the NFL's best.

8. Mizzougrad96

That's an interesting observation about the Chicago writers. I hadn't ever really thought about that. Biggs is a love him or hate em type and Jensen is a hate him or really hate him type, but both are very, very good at their jobs.

I'd be curious what it's like in Dallas now that most of the former DMN writers are working for ESPN Dallas.

9. doodah

doodah Guest

This shit's real. I don't even like the Dolphins, but I'd kill for this gig. Holler at me Sentinel

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

With that kind of writing, doodah, you should be a natural.

Peace. Out.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You're hired! Will you be in town for Sunday's game?[/bluefont]

12. jwoodso1

jwoodso1 New Member

I graduated earlier this month and am looking for a start up gig in the industry. Making it to Miami to cover the Dolphins or Heat is a life-long dream and something I want to eventually do. As someone with only college newspaper experience (along with a few blog write-ups), is there any point in even applying to this? Part of me says why not? I've been following Miami sports since childhood and can probably tell you more about the Dolphins than any other subject (including myself). The other part of me says get a small time gig and work your way up before trying to make it to my dream job.

Draft saved Draft deleted