1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami, Atlanta, St. Louis: how low can you go?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 26, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

One of the more common complaints about the modern NFL is parity/mediocrity. Few truly dominant teams ('cept this year), a bunch of 9-7 & 8-8 teams squeaking into playoffs and the NFC. But while the Patriots and Colts are grabbing the headlines, there are not one, not two, but THREE absolutely pathetic teams in the NFL, two of which are gunning for the Imperfect Season:

• The 0-7 Miami "Dead in the Water" Dolphins
    • The 0-7 St. Lost Rams
    • The 1-6, de-feathered Atlanta Falcons

The Dolphins are just an awful team hit with a bunch of injuries & bad personnel decisions. Plus, they have to play the Pats twice. Not so good. The Rams must be one of the most disappointing teams of the decade, given all the firepower they have at their disposal. Did the loss of Orlando Pace affect the team that much? And the Falcons, well, we know the stories on that. My question is two-fold, which of the first two teams are more likely to go winless and which of the three is in a sorrier state of affairs? I'd have to go with the Dolphins going winless because they have NO options on offense, but the Dirty Birds are in a worse state of affairs.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

buckdub, I'm glad the venom and general malice of this joint has finally worn off on you.

Because that shit cracked me up.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I actually was considering making this a poll, while including the Jets, Bills, Eagles, Cardinals and Chiefs.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ahh, well, you know. 'Tis the season for giving. ;)

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm as big of a Jets fan as you'll find, and they need to find a way on this thread. They're 1-6 and who knows if-or-when they'll win another game in 2007. Gangrene is 20th in PPG (19.4), 29th in YPG (288.6), 22nd in passing yards per game (199.0) and 25th in rushing yards per game (89.6). The Jets have been held scoreless in seven of 28 quarters (twice against New England, Baltimore and Buffalo; one quarter against the Giants).

The starting quarterback is hearing calls for his job. The head coach is being questioned--privately in the locker room, in public by other teams and the media--and the stud running back the organization gave up a second round pick for has been misused to a baffling degree.

Defensively, the Jets are 28th in the league. They have allowed 192 points (27.4 PPG). They're allowing opposing offenses 377.7 yards per game, have "forced'' four fumbles, picked off five passes and have seven sacks.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm not saying it'll be a miracle cure but steven jackson's return this week might at least give the rams a fighting chance. the fins: i'm predicting 0-13 in week 14 when they have the 25th anniversary of the 1972 team. in all seriousness, they need to call off that celebration. they'll be even more of a laughingstock.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

If Miami plays a turnover free game and their D can actually get off the field on third down, they MIGHT be able to beat the Jets or Bills at home.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Patchs, with Chambers in San Diego and Brown out for the year, who are the guys that can get the ball down the field and into the end zone for the Dolphins?

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Bills are 5-1 in their last 6 against Miami, and the 1 was courtesy of a Sage Rosenfels-led comeback and Chambers' 238-yard day. I like "our" chances against Cleo Lemon and Samkon Gado.

beat, I'd absolutely love it if someone would ask Mangini whether he still believes in the Parcells adage, "You are what your record says you are."

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Jesse Chatman and ... uh ... (crickets) ...

11. I thought this was a remedial geography question ...

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I'm just glad the Browns aren't in this discussion! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted