1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

M'fkers who sing while they're calling in games.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Oct 12, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Youth of America, take this fine advice, and remember to follow it every night after a desk shift.

Keep that flask waiting in the car. (Note that I don't advocate taking it into the office... if you did, it'd get plenty more interesting.)

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I had a softball coach a couple of years ago call in, slurping on a beer while he gave in the results. Then he proceeds to tell me how good the beer tasted. Like I cared.

3. JBHawkEye

Oh, and I had a cross country coach call in his results the other night and get pissed because I was asking him how to spell some of the last names. "You mean you haven't gotten these memorized yet? I've called in every one of my meets, and you still don't know the names." This was the first time I had taken his call.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Or as I like to point out to the coach, if I only covered your school perhaps I would know how to spell all the names, but since we cover 25 high schools it is easy to get confused.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

please tell me you asked him how to spell gofuckyourself.

6. JBHawkEye

I thought about it, just because of the pissy way he asked it.

I should have said fine, I won't ask for spellings, then when a parent calls to complain the next day, I'll just give him/her the coach's phone number.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It's amazing the way some of these fringe sports coaches act when you ask them to fax you a roster. Like you're some pedophile who wants to stalk his cross country girls.

Sheesh, we just want to make sure the names are spelled correctly. I didn't ask him for phone numbers.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

So you don't advocate drinking on the job, but drinking and driving is perfectly fine?

Just wondering.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good point. Don't advocate drinking massively in the car. Maybe a quick swig after you get off your shift, maybe, if you have a five-minute drive or something.

One thing I do advocate is drinking prior to staff pickup basketball games after deadline. I learned this summer that I can't see the net sober.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Man I really miss driving the lane on you out here in the parking lot!

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Get in line, many do.

12. JBHawkEye

We had a coach one time who misspelled a kid's last name on the questionnaire, the roster, every roster he sent to opposing schools, and every scoresheet he faxed in. Of course, at the end of the year the kid's mom called in and started bitching because we spelled his name wrong the whole season.

Draft saved Draft deleted