1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

M'fkers who sing while they're calling in games.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when was the last time the mailroom wrote a gamer?

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Did he at least get the words right? :)

That had to be annoying.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Once had a guy call to let us know there was a halo around the moon that night. No, he wasn't high, it's actually an atmospheric event, but he called the sports department to let us know.

We, too, always get the "I've got a score to report" calls, which usually results in a "What sport?" response, which then leads to "Varsity, JV, freshman or junior high?" because the person calling in hasn't seemed to catch on. And, yes, they then proceed to provide the score by putting their team first, whether they won or lost. And these numbnuts are helping mold the minds of tomorrow?

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

My favorite is when some bozo calls in something and says "That touchdown was by No. 12." I tell him numbers don't mean anything to me. "Let me see who number 12 is ..." I hear paper shuffling and then "OK, 12 is Joe Schmoe." Then we proceed to do this about six times. Hey moron, have the shit ready when you call in. Don't look it up once you get me on the phone. That's especially annoying when some idiot does it with 17 events in a track meet.

5. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

That's why they should be faxing in a track meet...of course then you run into the other favorite issue with track meets...the handwriting looks like chinese and you mispell half the names b/c you can't read the goddamn thing.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Any school still reporting track results in longhand should not be allowed to host a meet.

7. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I had a gem last week...

Me: Sports.
    Caller: I have a soccer game to report.
    Me: <opens file> OK, go ahead.
    Caller: <to guy sitting in the room with her> Honey, what was the score?
    Guy in room in background: We won, 5-3.
    Caller: Bumblefuck 5, Shitstain 3
    Me: Halftime score?
    Caller: Honey, what was the halftime score?
    Guy in room: 2-0.
    Caller: 2-0.

And this went on for the ENTIRE box score. Why the guy with all the information wasn't on the phone, I don't understand, but she had to relay the whole damn thing back and forth. And with each goal, she gave me the order of the information (school, player, assists, time) in a different order.

Oh, and one of the players on the opposing team was named Johnny Walker. He scored a couple goals and assisted on another. And every single time she said his name, she started giggling and repeating "Johnny Walker Red! Johnny Walker Red!" As I was getting ready to hang up the phone at the end, on the verge of tears, she let out one more "Johnny Walker Red!" for good measure.

Idiot.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Simple policy: If we can't read it, it doesn't go in.
    That's why I tell most people to e-mail their stuff.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

One time I asked a coach where he was calling from and he said, "My house."
    He was right, I'd figure he'd know I meant what school.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

11. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

lmao....

12. My experience, old school Milwaukee style.

"Sentinel Sports. Bowling."
    "I've got the Pewaukee Wednesday night mixed."
    "OK, shoot."
    "First, Wanda Brezewsinwzzzski."
    "Is that with one-z or two?"
    "Three. What are you, stupid?"
    Then I drank a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted