1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mexican newspaper to drug cartels: What do you want from us?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 20, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Man - I kind of suck on the quote function.

2. johnfloyd

johnfloyd New Member

To folks who say "why not just not cover the cartels," they don't always give you that option. Some cartels don't just not want negative coverage, they want positive coverage! Or at least negative coverage of their rivals but not themselves. In a city or region where several cartels are fighting each other it's possible for there to literally be no acceptable solution to the factions at hand.

I write for the sports desk of a border town, but I keep my eyes on the news side of things as well. It's absolutely insane over there and hardly any of it gets reported beyond what some papers on this side of the border write about it, but even that's frequently sketchy and I hardly ever see it picked up by media outlets further north unless an American was involved. (a la the recent Falcon Lake attack in Texas.)

No idea what the solution is, but it's one of the biggest problems around which is being brushed under the rug and hidden from sight.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They should bring the cartels in for a focus group.

Draft saved Draft deleted