1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets/Yanks Ump Blows Call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shoeless Joe, May 19, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh, yes it does. Precisely because of umpires like Angel and C.B. Granted, Bob admitted that he F'd up, which is amazing considering you never get an apology from a major league umpire.

Armchair, I realize we may agree to disagree on this subject, but IMO you need replay for stuff like homers and close plays (NOT for balls and strikes, else we'd be there for several hours a night!).

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uh no. Blown fair/foul calls are very, very rare. Missed fair/foul calls, catch/no catch safe/out calls are usually caused by fat, out-of-shape umpires failing to get into position and the continued employment of doucherockets like C.B. Bucknor and Angel Hernandez.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only reason Bob Davidson was working the WBC to begin with was because he was out of work due to the fact he was one of the umpires not rehired after Richie Phillips' mass resignation plan blew up in his union's face. In other words, MLB hired him back AFTER he fucked up in the WBC.

MLB needs better umpires, not instant replay.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Something like that. I thought for sure we'd seen the last of him after his two high-profile fuck-ups in the WBC.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You don't "need" replay for anything.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

To be a better ump, maybe?

He sucks.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Say MLB does go to instant replay for home runs ... presumably one of the things umps would look for is if the ball goes fair or foul. Well what about a batted ball that isn't a home run? Are they going to open that up to questions of fair or foul? And if they do, and an ump incorrectly calls a ball foul when it's fair, what happens? Do the umpires then have to determine which base the batter is going to be awarded? Doesn't that screw the defensive team out of an opportunity to make a play at second base?

Seems like replay opens up a can of worms that isn't needed. In the 100-plus years of baseball without replay, the sport has done pretty well. I think it can continue without it.

I'd rather see them have a pair of outfield umpires who are in better position to call a home run or fair/foul in live action that spend the time going to instant replay.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I blame East Coast bias.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, if this hadn't happened in a Yankees-Mets game nobody would be talking about it.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't know. The third-base ref did hesitate slightly, but he called it a home run. Had the ump simply trusted the guy who's supposed to make the call, the Mets get the home run.

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Winner.

The umpires confer on these calls too much. Trust the guy who is supposed to make the call. It's understandable if they confer sometimes, but in the end, trust the guy who is supposed to make the call to make the call.

Baseball doesn't need replay. No sport needs replay.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

**in the interest of full disclosure, I'm not an official basher by any means. my wife is a professional college official that goes from one season to the next -volleyball/basketball/softball - so if anything, I give them the benefit of the doubt. and no, I don't cover any of the games she works.**

I'm torn on the whole replay thing. I certainly don't think its needed for judgement calls (balls/strikes, block/charge) but when matter of fact calls are constantly getting blown, something needs to be done.

The argument of having to live with missing some calls that sometimes mean the difference in the game doesn't fly. "Uh yeah, we know going to the next round/bowl/etc. meant $10 million in revenue to your program, but we missed it."

Wrong - get it right.

In high profile sports where officials can and do make six figures, they need to get that stuff right.

If no replay, I'm for as mentioned above cleaning house if the same people keep not getting the job done. Have a weekly grading system over the course of the season. Put out the word that the person with the poorest performance grading is gone at the end of the season no questions asked.

Draft saved Draft deleted