1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets/Yanks Ump Blows Call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shoeless Joe, May 19, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me that Bob Davidson is still umpiring at this level.

He's the guy who almost caused an international incident with a bad call against the Japanese in the World Baseball Classic. He called a Japanese runner out for leaving third too early, which cost Japan a second-round game.

A couple of days later, also in a game involving the US, he took away from a Mexican player a home run that had hit the foul pole, instead ruling it a double. Luckily, Mexico still won that game.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

That call against Japan was beyond awful.

He's terrible.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Just curious about how you go about getting an interview with an ump after something like this. I thought they didn't speak to the media.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because baseball doesn't need instant replay.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm certian there's about a thousand people here who can answer that question better than me, but as I understand it, you can request to speak with the crew chief. And generally he says no.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Then isn't there a certain sense of this ump manning up to the mistake by allowing the interview?

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

At least he owns up to it. Normally MLB would admit a mistake on his behalf two days after the fact. Though I'm a bit confused by the "nuts and bolts" line.

8. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

I think he was talking about it being a basic call, fair/foul, safe/out, not some obscure rulebook interpretation.

At least he admitted his mistake. He didn't seem to be blaming anyone else for it.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I guess my whole problem with it is it seems like he isn't sorry he missed the call, he's sorry he got caught.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think "bolts and nuts" is his way of saying it's a basic every day call.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

if ever a sport was tailor-made for replay, it was baseball. what, they argue it would "slow down the game?" it can't get much slower, can it?

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That quote sounds to me like a guy whose pissed off at himself for (expletive) up a call.

"No one feels worse about it than I do."

What more do you want from the guy?

Draft saved Draft deleted