1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets/Yanks Ump Blows Call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shoeless Joe, May 19, 2008.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

From ESPN ...

After losing out on a clear home run ball Sunday for the second time this season, the New York Mets might become the newest proponents of Major League Baseball instituting instant replay.

In Sunday's Subway Series finale, a Carlos Delgado fly ball down the left field line was ruled a three-run home run for the Mets by third base umpire Mike Reilly. After Yankees captain Derek Jeter argued, home plate umpire Bob Davidson overruled Reilly and called the ball foul.

Davidson readily admitted his mistake to reporters after the game.

"I (expletive) it up. I'm the one who thought it was a (expletive) foul ball. I saw it on the replay. I'm the one who (expletive) it up so you can put that in your paper," Davidson said. "Bolts and nuts, I (expletive) up. You've just got to move on. No one feels worse about it than I do."

OK, this guy has a giftwrapped opportunity to make good by just saying "I got it wrong. I'm sorry. I'm just glad it didn't change the outcome of the game. I'll do better next time."

But noooooo. He's gotta come across as a number one ass and blame the people who pointed it out that he screwed up.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Who is he blaming?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Who is he blaming? He said he fucked up.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's a shame it wasn't Angel Hernandez or C.B. Bucknor.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

He did seem a bit arrogant, but for such a forceful response, this worked pretty well.

Anyone have additional details they can add on this? Why, beyond feeling bad about the jacked-up call, did his response come across so aggressively? Was the media pounding him?

6. Armchair_QB

They'd never admit a mistake.

7. Armchair_QB

Oh, and before I forget...

AND PRINT IT!!!!

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A manager I once knew once said to Angel Hernandez in the minor leagues: "I'm surprised you could stop jacking off long enough to get to the ballpark."

Manager later said, "He threw me out for that. Can you believe it?"

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

"... you can put that in your paper ... (and) ... You've just got to move on ..."

is what comes across to me as the arrogant/ass part.

I think if the guy says "Yes. I made a mistake." and just drops it, then pretty much nobody is going to be terribly upset.

The story went on to say that when Willie Randolph argued the reversal, Davidson tried to bait him and ended up tossing a bench coach.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, ESPN caught Jerry Manuel getting tossed, along with dozens of shots of the idiot sitting next to the foul pole being interviewed or talking on his phone.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Why doesn't MLB implement a NFL style replay or a coach's challenge for plays like that?

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Didn't they vote on this this past offseason? If so, I wonder what the Mets voted.

Draft saved Draft deleted