1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets suicide watch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Willie didn't give Reyes enough time off earlier in the season and he looks tired; he's not patient at all, not taking pitches that he would earlier in the season.

2. formulacola

formulacola Member

I do think there's something to Reyes wearing down. But that being said, his numbers by month, he only has two months (April and June) where he posted an OPS over .800. I'm more than a little worried about his regression this year, aside from those two hot stretches.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

My only fault with Willie is his lack of creativity. No one wants to hear that the pitching sucks, we see that. Now how is he going to combat it for the next three games. The goal is to get 27 outs by any means necessary. If he has to use 15 pitchers a night to get 27 outs with as little damage on the scoreboard as possible than that's what he'll have to do.

And yes they need a major ace on the staff and since neither Pelfrey or Humber have shown that they are ready for the responsibility yet, one of them will probably be unloaded in the offseason to get that arm.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

To me, one of the strangest twists is how bad Wagner has been. Is he playing hurt? Has he traditionally not done well down the stretch and in the playoffs? It seems strange that he was lights out all season and then suddenly he is as bad as the rest of the bullpen.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

DTGDTN! The Mets suicide watch is over, thanks to XXXX.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/47589/

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

One of Philadelphia's many near-misses in the last few years was clinched when Wags gave up a three-run (IIRC) bomb to Craig Biggio in the ninth inning in the last week of the season. Phils lost the WC to the Astros by one game. It'll take me awhile to find it on retrosheet, as all the Phils' recent chokes kind of blend together after awhile.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Philadelphia has plenty of experience with choking (hi, fans... remember 1964?).

I can't really say the Mets should go on the free-agent market to fill their holes, because this year's crop of pitchers looks pretty weak with Zambrano off the market.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

They could sign Mike Mussina. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Moddy, I read a bit the other day were someone asked Ryan Church how he planned to follow up with a big day he had vs. NYM.

"Sweep the Phillies," he said.

I'm thinking you'll have a lot to cheer about this weekend.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Really have to commend the Nats for playing their butts off this month with not a whole lot to play for. A tribute to Acta and all those young players.
    Now, if they can just do to the Phils what they did to the Mets ...

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Even if the Mets blow this, Randolph should be back. Minaya bears much more of the responsibility for their failings this season. He picked the wrong guys for the bullpen. It's really that simple. I don't see where Randolph could have done much better given the relievers he's had to work with. This has not been a team-wide collapse, it's been a stunningly bad stretch for the bullpen. Minaya lost his Midas touch this year, but he's more than earned the right to correct his mistakes. No need to fire the manager or the GM.

As for Reyes, yes, he's worn down, but Randolph played him just as much the two previous seasons without this kind of fall off, so why should he have expected it to happen this year? Also, he's played David Wright just as much, and that seems to have worked out pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.