1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets suicide watch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boots

boots New Member

Very much so.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Gotta agree with spnited on this one. Phils' collapse was far worse precisely because they were fighting for one spot.

However, the fact that the Mets aren't even going to make the postseason ... when they do have that safety net ... catapults them past the '51 Dodgers or '78 Red Sox when it comes to this discussion.

So Bunning and Short, pitching three times apiece in that final week ... weren't as "toast" as Mahaffey on full rest? I find that hard to believe.

But, of course, I wasn't alive in '64. So how would I know, right? Glad to know I can't have knowledge of history unless I was alive for it. Guess I'll bone up on the last quarter-century now, since that's all I'm allowed to understand. ::)

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

7-games lead, 17 to play
    6 1/2-game lead, 12 to play.

DO THE FUCKING MATH DICKHEAD!

A choke of epic proportions, to be sure. Not as bad as the '64 Phils.
    Not as bad as up 3-0 in a best of 7 and leading Game 4 in the 9th inning.

4. boots

boots New Member

Yeah but those other guys were toast. Mauch always thought he was a genius, smarter than everyone else. He got a wild hair up his ass and it backfired. Years later, Short and Bunning said they didn't hold a grudge at the way they were used.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Stick to figuring out if the 1990 A's were the biggest World Series flop of the last 25 years, buckdubs. :D

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Last week, Sen. Jim Bunning said even if the Mets don't make the playoffs it won't compare to what we did... Mick Vaccaro column when the Mets were in DC.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, since I can only go back to Cards-Brewers, that's all I have to work with ... 8)

8. boots

boots New Member

You were quoting me stats of something that I saw first hand. My perspective is entirely different than yours.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ha! You don't ever get to talk about Fernando-Mania! :D

10. boots

boots New Member

It's been years since I've talked with Bunning but from what I've been told, he's not exactly playing with a full deck mentally these days.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

True.

buckdub knows what he's talking about.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If Mets fans are going to kill themselves, do us all a favor and kill a Cubs fan first.

I am completely joking when I say that, in case anyone wants to get wound up and go crazy with that statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.