1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets suicide watch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Active Member

With the carnage that has taken place the last two weeks......

Randolph pissing away a seven-game lead in 13 days.....there's no way he's back......is there?

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

It's shaping up to be an interesting off-season.

I'm probably jinxing them as I'm currently reading "The Worst Team Money Could Buy". All that negativity...

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey, I'm enjoying the fall as much as the next guy - though it thrills me not at all that the Phils will benefit.
    But did Randolph piss it away? Is that fair?
    Nats TV guys said the other night: Mets fans cannot be excited by the fact that the bullpen has to thrown five innings.

Lots of things are beyond the manager. Perhaps he is the problem or a majro part of it - I truly don't know here.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

How many managers in the history of baseball have been fired with three years left on their contracts one year after making the LCS? It's probably a short list.

People are talking about the historic nature of this collapse. It's not historic. Teams that make the playoffs aren't as good as they once were and there are more playoff spots. We almost saw an even worse collapse last season.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Dude, they were up seven games two weeks ago, and now they're tied. It's historic.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No team has ever done that before. If they lose, it could be viewed at one of the biggest meltdowns of all time. I don't care how many playoff spots there are, when a team is in sole possession of first for more than four months, then coughs it up in two weeks -- three days before the season ends -- it's a major, major collapse.

But, none of that matters if the Mets win the East. But they don't look like they want it too badly right now.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

My concern is entirely based on the bullpen. How many starters have been able to go longer than 6-innings in the past two weeks?

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

If I were a betting man, I would not bet on the Mets at this point.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This is what happens when you don't have a reliable, front-line starter that can come in for seven, eight innings and just shut down the opposing team. Someone that isn't 35+ or breaks down easily.

Indians - Sabathia, Carmona
    Red Sox - Beckett, Schilling (lone exception)
    Yankees - Wang, Pettitte
    Angels - Escobar, Lackey
    Cubs - Zambrano
    Padres - Peavy, Young
    D-backs - Webb
    Phillies - Hamels

Do the Mets have a guy in their rotation that opens your eyes a little bit? No. El Duque is more like La Diva, Glavine doesn't scare anybody, Maine got sunk in the second half, and you can't count on Petey anymore. That being said, there goes the bullpen. It also doesn't help when your first baseman aged five years in the off-season, Reyes has forgotten to get on base, the mental mistakes occuring at an exponential rate and the second-best hitter on your team is a 40-year-old who pisses on his hands. Some of the blame should fall at Willie's feet, some should go to Omar's (Mota was a greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat signing, huh?), but the players are just as guilty for failing to execute. This might waste one hell of an MVP-effort from D-Wright, one of the few (only?) consistently good players the Mets have had over the last two months.

As for the off-season, should the Mets use some of their farm system depth and trade for an established starter (under 30, mind you)? I think it would be foolish not to. The pitching in their system isn't churning out any Chamberlains, Kennedys or Verlanders so far.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Maybe Pedro?

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think it's fair to blame Randolph for the Mets' lack of a starter than can go deep into games. That's Minaya's fault; he stood pat in the offseason.

But you can blame Randolph for running out the same guys--Mota, Schoenweiss--who can't get anyone out; it's fair to criticize Randolph for not using any of the call-ups in relief situations.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So Willie likes young players about as much as Dusty Baker did?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.