1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets Settle Madoff Case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ThomsonONE, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I guess their defense was going to have to be that they really were morons who were so stupid that they ignored numerous red flags and proped Madoff to their friends. My guess is that the trustee thought that not having to testify to this seemingly true scenerio was worth some shekels in hush money.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

In defense of the Mets' owners (and this hurts as a Yankees fan), the trustee might have had to show a bit more than the fact they should have known. Picard might have had problems showing that Wilpon would have been an active participant. I don't think Wilpon and Katz were involved in the stock market as a main business - I think Katz was involved in real estate.

People more knowledgable about markets than Wilpon and Katz were victims of Madoff. Madoff was the president of NASD, so it wasn't like he was some outsider.

Draft saved Draft deleted