1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets, Phils...Fish?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Jul 30, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Marlins are better than people give them credit for.
    The way Johan, Pelfry and Perez are pitching gives the Mets the best top 3 pitchers but Maine is now a question, as is Pedro, Perez could blow up at any time and the bullpen is lethal.
    Phils have not hit consistently the way people thought they would and the starting pitching is shaky.

If Delgado keeps hitting, the Mets get a slight edge ... but they will find a way to blow it.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think Johnson's return makes them better, too, but I don't see a lot of sure things there, either. At least the Mets have Santana and the Phillies have Hamels.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Nolasco, Olson and Johnson fade down the stretch and it is a little early to declare Volstad as ready to be a consistant quallity pitcher.

Funny thing is, as much as people criticize the Phillies' pitching, they are fourth in the NL with a 3.99 team ERA, just ahead of the Mets. The Marlins' team ERA is 4.60, with only the Pirates and Rockies between them and the bottom of the league.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nolasco's a stud, no doubt, Johnson is very promising and Olsen can be excellent at times. But the Mets and Phillies both have better and deeper pitching, better defense and much better offenses than the Marlins. The Fish are a very flawed team. You get what you pay for.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

They are all seriosuly flawed teams, cran. The Marlins a little more flawed than the other two.

Another thing in Mets favor is their dominance of the Phils so far ... but it ain't September choke time yet

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Fish. Because I want them to. ;D

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Which has been extremely successful over there in the AL Central.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah ... if they paid a shitload of money like the Yankees do ... oh, wait ...

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just wonder how long they can get by with that outfield. It's tough to count on Fernando Tatis to keep hitting.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'll go ahead and say this: Mike Pelfrey is the third-best starting pitcher in the NL East right now after Santana and Hamels.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

If Church comes back (looking better the last few days) they might get by with Tatis/Chavez in left...or they might get Ibanez tomorrow.
    If they have to go with Tatis in left and Chavez in right everyday -- as well as Easley/Argenis Reyes at second -- they could be in trouble. Counting on too many irregulars to keep playing well

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'll go ahead and at least agree with that. He's undoubtedly the Mets No. 2 now and in the past month-six weeks he has been every bit as good as Santana.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

True.

But I am counting Nolasco, Johnson, Sanchez and Volstad as a major upgrade from their opening-month rotation of (Olsen excepted) Hendrickson, Miller, VandenHurk and Badenhop.

Draft saved Draft deleted