1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mets owners may have lost $500,000,000 to Bernard L. Madoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Dec 13, 2008.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bite me.

I'm shocked that the Wilpons actually might have $500 million kicking around.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It appears that Bernard Madoff did not have the correct "skill set" to run the Wilpon money.

3. After almost eight years of Government By Rodeo Clown, you ask this?
    Good thing we're holding the line on those autoworker bastards.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He had the correct skill set to run and hide with it, which I suspect was his plan all along.

More victims' stories:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/business/15palm.html?em=&pagewanted=all

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Word is, Mort Zuckerman's lost a hefty chunk to this boy, as well.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

This is ugly.

Charitable organizations being hit hard, including those run by Steven Spielberg and Elie Wiesel.

He took 300 million from Twin Cities investors. Going to go higher some say.

http://www.startribune.com/business/36207634.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

so does this mean lil' Jeffy Wilpon has to work for a living now?

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Reading about this, I will never think about making easy money again (well maybe). Man, losing your life savings has got to be the worst, I'm thinking of what my older partners and parents would do if this happened. Okay, not the worst, I mean you have your health.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The SEC had warnings 10 YEARS AGO that this guy was running a gigantic Ponzi scheme. It supposedly investigated. I can only guess they put an intern on the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted