1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Metro trains collide in DC; 9 dead, 70 injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Re: Metro trains collide in DC; at least 4 dead

Same day actually. The Air Florida crash into the Potomac happened a half hour before Metro's first fatal accident on Jan. 13, 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Florida_Flight_90

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

AP now reporting that a DC Metro official says one train stopped, second train plowed into it from rear.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy crap...that's freaky. I remember watching the footage of the helicopter crash...a really icy, snowy day, right?

4. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Yea, terrible weather. Wasn't a helo crash though, though it was an airliner that hit the 14th Street bridge before going into the icy river. Only five people survived. Pilots were to blame for the accident.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn I would have bet my meager fortune it was a traffic copter. Always interesting how time clouds our memories. Thanks for the clarification.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Holy shit! I did not know that.

I drive across the 14th St. bridge twice every day. Oftentimes, I'll look over and wonder what it was like to see something so awful happen. Just terrible. Can't imagine.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

NBC-4 in DC is saying 6 dead now.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Were those the two that were critical, or did they find more people in the wreckage?

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

They didn't say. Or at least Fenty didn't say during the press briefing he just gave.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Re: Metro trains collide in DC; at least 6 dead

I used to take the Metro all the time. I used to take the Red Line, though not always that stretch of the Metro.

We were talking about that tragedy a LOT tonight as News 4's breaking updates were playing. My heart goes out to those affected by this.

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Man, I just moved out of DC. Used to take the Red Line daily, though on the other side of the District. A train derailed at the Bethesda stop when I was there, but that was it. I used to wonder if anything like this had ever happened.

I have a friend who lives out near that area. I'll have to get in touch to make sure he's OK.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jeez. Looking at the D.C. metro map, if it happened between Fort Totten and Takoma, there's a big gap between those stations, which means the train that hit the stopped train could have really been hauling. Yikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted