1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

#MeToo 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, May 7, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think this is from today, but was this the article?

In the era of #MeToo, is it still OK to laugh at ‘Animal House’?

And, for what it's worth, the author of that piece is thankfully getting lit up on her Twitter feed for its stupidity:

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It's impossible to re-litigate a work that was of its time. If Animal House was made scene-for-scene today? No way it would ever happen.

Not saying it doesn't look bad in retrospect. It does for sure.

I saw today that there are possible reboots of All in the Family, The Jeffersons and Goodtimes.

First, c'mon. Original ideas. Not that an update wouldn't work, but that's just lazy.

And Archie Bunker can never be recreated. Much like Animal House, the character was a creature of his point in time. Watch the original. Learn from it. Enjoy a period piece.

There can never be another Archie Bunker. Find the current equivalent and create something new.

And, I see people are on my lawn. I shall shake my fist until they vacate my area.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If Roseanne was smart enough, she would have made herself the new Archie Bunker.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No - Batman, it was a different article. It does make me wonder though - if you depict something the way it was, when it was - is that bad? Or is it that Animal House made "heroes" of the Deltas?

I've never been a fan of revisionist history - judging people from the past by today's standards (whether we're talking about the filmmakers or the characters). The truth is - a lot of what happened in Animal House, actually kind of happened.

House Rules: Chris Miller takes us back to the Real Animal House

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The whole article is disturbing, and I don't see how Moonves can remain at CBS.

There are multiple, credible accusers, who are on the record, and who told others about the attacks at the time.

But, I thought this was particularly interesting -- especially since it locked the door, not just to the outside, bit also to the inside.

Predators in the media industry sure do love their automatic door locking buttons:

More than a decade earlier, in the spring of 1985, Janet Jones was attempting to break into the industry as a writer. The producer Mike Marvin liked an idea that Jones had for a screenplay, and helped broker a meeting between her and Moonves, who at the time was a vice-president at Twentieth Century Fox. It was Jones’s first pitch meeting in Hollywood. Moonves’s assistant scheduled a late-afternoon appointment at his office.

When Jones arrived, many employees were leaving for the day, but Moonves’s assistant was there. “I had my briefcase and my pants suit,” Jones recalled. “I was really prepared.” Moonves surprised her by asking if she wanted a glass of wine. She declined, sat down on the couch, and began pitching her screenplay. Suddenly, Jones told me, “he came around the corner of the table and threw himself on top of me. It was very fast.” Moonves, she said, began trying to kiss her. Jones said that she struggled, and then shoved Moonves away hard, yelling, “What do you think you’re doing?” Moonves, appearing startled, got up. “ ‘Well, I was hitting on you. I wanted a kiss,’ ” she recalled him saying. Jones began to leave. “He said, ‘Oh, come on, it’s nothing,’ ” she said. “ ‘Calm down, don’t be so excited.’ ”

When Jones got to the door, it was locked. She was terrified. “If you don’t open this door,” she told him, “I am going to scream so loud and so long that everyone on the lot is going to come over.” She remembered Moonves walking to his desk or to a nearby bureau to unlock the door, rather than doing so directly. She fled, noticing on her way out that the assistant had left. “That’s when I got really upset,” she told me. “I just thought, Oh, my God. This wasn’t like a little momentary boo-boo. It was this well-thought-out thing.”

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

According to this, the accuser, Chloe Dykstra, refused to cooperate with the investigation. She claimed that it was because she had already said what she wanted to say. She also claimed that she had more details to offer, but chose not to share them.

Chris Hardwick’s Ex-Girlfriend Chloe Dykstra Speaks Out After His ‘Talking Dead’ Reinstatement

I really wonder about this one. I don't doubt her claims that Hardwick was a controlling asshole and perhaps he and others did badmouth Dykstra after they broke up. It's the claim that she only gave him consent for sex because she was afraid to lose him. Is that rape now? Or is it just a sign of a dying relationship that needs to end?

I think I have to go back and re-read the essay she wrote making the accusation, but I'm a little bit hesitant to slam AMC for giving the guy his job back after everything I read about this one.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not all of this relates to #MeeToo, but it's a decent quick summary of how many things in old movies just wouldn't be acceptable today.

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I'm thinking the focus would be on the Omegas instead of the Deltas. Not worth seeing.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the things about these discussions that I think is lost is that I don't think anyone ever thought the behavior shown in Animal House was OK. It was absurd and ridiculous - THAT is where the humor is. Not the humiliation of someone else. See also, Peter Graves asking the kid in Airplane if he'd ever seen a grown man naked.

Joe Williams and Batman like this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Archie Bunker character is now president of the United States.

That remake would do fine, I think, only it would be an equal split between people laughing at Archie and people laughing with Archie.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One of my all-time favs, but yeah agreed.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We're in the era of slow play in golf, so I'm not watching Caddyshack anymore because Judge Smails took so long on the greens.

Draft saved Draft deleted