1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meth and Me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jan 30, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Doc, I sometimes get a clogged ear/sinus thing. It's not serious, but walking around with a clogged ear is annoying. The only thing I've found that fixes it is a double-dose of pseudephedrine. I pop the pills and within the hour, the ear pops and I can hear out of it again.

Similiarly to dog, a few months ago the clogged ear happened to me one night and I had no sudafed. It was about midnight, and I ran over to the local grocery store. I walked around the pharmacy area in circles for 15 minutes and didn't see any sudafed. Finally, someone told me OTC's with pseudephedrine were in a locked cage behind the pharmacy counter, which was closed because it was so late. Luckily there was a bodega open down the block that had some sudafed.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm with Doc - that shit doesn't touch me. The only thing that works on me is time... and Nyquil (a.k.a. whiskey), because like FHB said, I may as well sleep through it.

Just like the old SNL skit for Hybernol.

Regarding meth, I was just gonna post what n_w did: I've never seen a drug rip apart families like meth. The laws are silly, but I can certainly understand states wanting to try something-- anything.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

About crystal meth: If you need a drug to be horny all the time, drug addiction is the least of your problems. As for the teeth issue, does that explain the English?

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Dog,

The amount of OTC drugs needed if you are making enough meth to deal it is far beyond the eight boxes you can get by visiting four drugstores in a night. You need to be able to buy it in bulk -- a meth dealer needs to horde OTC drugs like there is no tomorrow. So by making it damn near impossible to buy it in bulk over the counter, we have cut off one avenue for the manufacturers and makes it easier to fight the other major source: bulk trafficking via Mexico.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You think he gone share his score? You so crazy

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm tempted to agree and say this law is just another stupid, ineffective law that won't help anyone. but meth makers don't run in sophisticated cartels like coke or heroin suppliers. people who make meth at home are strung-out, bony-ass, desperate fuckers who probably aren't bright enough to hit more than a couple of stores looking for sudafed.

that said, the only thing that pisses me off about this is having to wait on the fucking line to get some of this shit. the pharmacy line ALWAYS take for-fucking-ever.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

These are your teeth.

[​IMG]

These are your teeth on meth.
    [​IMG]

Any questions?

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Did not need to see that. :-X

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Don't do meth and you won't have to look at it in the mirror every day. 8)

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

After reading through this thread, I decided to do a little more research on the production of meth.

It seems the problem since the late 1990s isn't the sale of pseudoephedrine in the US, but the mass distribution of the drug to Mexico. I believe it was an Oregonian story that quoted DEA figures showing over 95% of the meth in the US came from labs in Mexico or was produced in labs in the US that imported pseudoephedrine from Mexico. Three percent of the meth came from labs in Canada.

Now, here's the real kick in the balls: In the early 90s, the DEA had nearly shut down the production of meth (one story quoted a DEA source saying that trafficking had been slashed by almost 70 percent), thanks to stringent regulations imposed on drug companies. But in the late 90s, drug company lobbyists were able to get many of the regulations either lifted or significantly reduced.

I wonder what happened to Congress around that time that allowed this to happen?

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I wonder who was president from 1993-2001.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Exactly. He was president during the biggest decline in meth manufacturing. And since he didn't change, I wonder what did? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted