1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Metal bats outlawed in Mass.?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2006.

1. "Silly" is one thing.
    "No place in" is another.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Two diametrically opposed thoughts here:

1. Yes, metal bats are a danger to 11-, 12-year-old pitchers. That's just 45 feet of distance, and the kids' reactions are not fully developed.

2. Yes, FB, the state has NO BUSINESS getting involved. The legislating should be done by the bodies involved. LLB established pitch counts this week. Wood bats will not be far behind, although it has a tougher road because of the cost issue.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Calling the use of metal bats a public health or safety issue is a stretch, even for you FB.
    First of all, there is no evidence indicating that batted-ball related injuries have increased in number or severity since metal bats became the norm.
    Second, no kid has to play baseball, with metal bats or wooden bats. Parents can decide if they think the endeavor is too dangerous.
    Third, no matter how you attempt to regulate them, all sports carry the risk of injury, and thus the risk of serious injury, which once again makes it an issue for parents to decide. Unless the state wants to step in and restrict all activities that can result in serious injury: football, soccer, basketball, baseball, softball, skateboarding, bike riding, mini-nike riding, karting, karate, wrestling, snowboarding, skiiing, swimming, surfing, tree climbing, etc.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Chris,
    The story never mentions any pending legislation. It does mention the switch to wooden bats in high school, but it say almost all of the leagues have switched back, except one public league and a Catholic league.
    I'll grant you, in the case of public high schools, if the state is paying for the equipment, the state can impose restrictions.

5. Go fuck youself aquaman

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Oh no you didn't.

7. [​IMG]

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's it. The feud's back on.
    You evil bastard.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

During the 1981 player strike, The Cape Cod League played in Fenway. I was sitting in the bleachers with Ralph Houk annd Haywood Sullivan, and Houk gave the definitive comment on metal bats.
    ":If we used those things, we'd be burying five third baseman every season."

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd like to reiterate, for the record:
    1. I'm in favor of using wooden bats. I'm just not in favor of laws requiring wooden bats.
    B. Chris is an evil bastard.

And I thank you for your attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted