1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

metal baseball bats benched in NYC?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 14, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Same thing, AQB. And my original question stands.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is no reason to outlaw metal bats. None.

3. I did a story a few years back looking at the issue in Connecticut and the idea of giving up on metal bats was nonexistant. Cost is certainly a factor with this thing. You only need maybe 5 to 7 metal bats for a high school team, maybe a little more, but the cost of replacing wooden bats would be pricey. Personally, I hate metal bats. I don't think they should be used because once you turn pro, you can't use them. Play the game the way it's supposed to be played. When I was in the latter part of my Little League/Pony League days, I made the decision to go to a wood bat. People thought I was crazy and my coach was a little skeptical, but it made me a better hitter because you really have to learn how to hit using a wooden bat.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

1). Didn't the NCAA and NFHS change their rules to make metal bats safer?
    2). Isn't there research that proves that metal bats are no more dangerous than wood bats, or is that what the bat companies that funded the research wanted the researchers to find?

5. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Wouldn't be in MLB's best interest if HS and college players used wood bats? I no evidence to back this up whatsoever, but I'd be willing to bet plenty of money is wasted on prospects who hit well with metal bats, then never make the adjustment to wood bats.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't serve MLB well to get in on this, offering to donate money to schools that couldn't afford the switch? It would be a good PR move, and it would make scouting that much more accurate.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo.

It's not like they don't have the money to help. It's not like it's not in the game's best interests. It's not like MLB can't use the PR boost.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i wanna hear steve yeager's point of view on this topic.

8. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

This moved on the AP wire as well. There was a similar movement in Chicago last year, though by the coaches, that narrowly failed.

In a couple of weeks, when conference play starts, the Illinois High School Association will be having five conferences use wood bats and studying its effect on the game. Conferences range from big-time schools up north to the little schools in my circulation area. It should be interesting.

And as for the cost issue, according to my research, on average you can buy two wood bats for every metal bat. As one of the coaches I spoke to pointed out, can get buy with about 18 "team" wood bats in a season because most of the kids who can afford it will go out and buy their own.

I'm going to be very interested to see what happens. One of the schools that falls in my area has a pair of Division I prospects and I'll be interested to see what that does for their numbers as well as whether or not kids taking bad swings at their stuff breaks a lot of bats.

Draft saved Draft deleted