1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Met Reverses Itself on Reviews Ban by Opera News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 22, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting story. Sort of odd that they own a publication that would be in a position to review their own performances.

But, in the end, it sounds like they have a lot more leeway than any of the RSN's that are owned by professional sports teams.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Do opera reviewers say "the game ain't over till the tobacco-chewing redneck strikes out"?

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I think it was pretty honest of them to just go ahead and pull the reviews, they could have just given everything a glowing review and went on from there. Nice to see that they understand what does actually constitute a review and are willing to step back in and even run bad ones even though they really don't have to.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I wonder what an outpouring of negative reaction looks like in the opera world

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Unavailable for comment:

[​IMG]

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There was nothing honest about it. It was the exact opposite of what you think.

The Met has gotten hammered the last few seasons with negative reviews of its staging and productions -- by the NY Times in particular. Among the opera snobs, the Met has really fallen in prestige compared to a lot of the other world operas over the last 5 or 6 years and the criticisms of each years' productions have been brutal.

Opera News gave them some negative reviews, which is what prompted the Met to cut off their access. It anything there was no conflict of interest tainting their coverage. They are willing to go in and eviscerate, which is what pissed off the Met and made them step into the PR disaster of cutting off their access.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My mother managed a major mid-level American opera company for 40 years, and was on the board of Opera America.

Let me tell you: When opera people get their back up and get pissed or outraged about something, NFL fans have nothing on them.

Draft saved Draft deleted