1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Message to Noonan: Write what you really think

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cadet, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

For background and links on the story of Peggy Noonan getting caught with the microphone on, go here:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/60588/

But the issue I want to address is the larger journalistic one, brought up here:
    http://www.wordyard.com/2008/09/03/noonan-agonistes/

He goes on to say how much this damages her credibility as a reporter.

Is it really an injustice to readers when you write something that is only part of what you think, know or believe? Or is there more interest in saving face and writing something safe? Is there a happy medium here, one that doesn't result in the writer receiving regular death threats from those who disagree?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think there is a fine line. If you go around blasting everyone because you're angry. It's just a bunch of rants.

If you are afraid to say what you think because you don't want to piss people off, you won't say anything.

If you can say what you think and not worry who you piss off, that's best. But rare.

Worst is saying what you think people want to hear -- agree or not. That's lousy, hypocritical, shameful and a way to make lots and lots of money.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Peggy Noonan?

Credibility?

That's a universe with which I'm not familiar.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

She isn't a journalist, and it's unfair to judge her as one. I think it's puzzling that she'd believe readers of The Wall Street Journal -- of all publications -- couldn't handle an honest opinion from her, though.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Of course a conservative columnist will typically support Republican positions, but the increasing demand for public lockstep (on both sides of the aisle) really disturbs me. I must have missed the vote where we decided to go with a parliamentary system.

Draft saved Draft deleted