1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merry Christmas!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Or not.

We were informed today that our Christmas party has been canceled due to "cost containment efforts."

Now, not that I care. I never go. But still This is sad, sad stuff.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Re: Merry Chistmas!

If that is the only thing cancelled, figure you're doing well.

Hell, for all we know, Christmas itself might be cancelled. No worries, the mall here is about to go into foreclosure anyway.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

We haven't had a Chistmas (sic) party in four years. Welcome to the club.

4. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

How I long for the days when Christmas parties were canceled on account of wanton debauchery.
    And calling it off in April? Damn, that's a frightening forecast.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The funniest thing (well, not really; the saddest thing) is that we already axed 20 people THIS YEAR. So the party would be for 20 less folks!

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Christmas parties are for people who get off work at 5 p.m. anyway.

7. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Over the years, we've gone from an all-day catered affair to take care of the day and night folks, to food from our in-house cafeteria for noon and 6 p.m. settings only, to a bring-your-own pot luck to nothing.

I still remember the year when we mentioned to someone that Super Bowl meant we wouldn't be able to go out for dinner, and the marketing department for some reason showed up with a deli spread that would have fed three times the people we had working. Don't know how we pulled that one off.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Christmas parties? Hmm. I know nothing about these.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I know when Christmas is. It's one of the holiday weeks that I don't get to see my family because my boss decides to go on vacation. But, then again, when he's not here, it is sort of a party.

10. GoDeacs

GoDeacs New Member

Used to get a free turkey (or two or more, depending on who didn't show up to claim theirs) at Thanksgiving and a bonus week of pay at Christmas ... all within the past 10 years. And on top of that, working at a group of weeklies we'd get basically a week off around the holidays, too.

Now? Nope. But we're still working and no one's been cut, either. Be thankful for what you've got, I guess.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Christmas party? That's flying-car future for newspapers these days. Way, way ahead. I'm excited when my editor sends out a budget that runs into next week.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Memo to everyone in journalism:

On account of the ongoing economic crisis, Christmas has been cancelled this year. It will no longer be a paid holiday, but senior employees may elect to use one of their furlough days on that date, provided there are enough grunts remaining to actually get out the paper. We thank all of you for your efforts to make our paper economically strong and viable through these tough times.

Sincerely,
    Ebenezer Scrooge
    Publisher

P.S. Since Christmas has been cancelled, there will be no need to consider Christmas bonuses.

Draft saved Draft deleted