1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merry Christmas, you're getting laid off (19 axed in New London, Conn.)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Dec 15, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't want to diminish the hardship of the people who lost their jobs, but if that paper operates its fiscal year by the calendar year, they pretty much have to do it now. That isn't something unique to the industry.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, I know that, and really, there's never a good time to get laid off. But still, they're destroying these people's holidays to save $20k before the end of the year. It sucks any way you slice it.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

And not to overstate the obvious (though, it only seems to be obvious to those of us who work in newsrooms): How does diminishing a product make it more attractive to advertisers?

Is the goal to increase ad revenue, or is the goal to cut costs to keep up with the declining revenue?

I'd think the former would be a more profitable business model.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The same way the US Postal Service has decided the best way to save its business in this fast-paced world is to vastly decrease its delivery speed.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The USPS didn't decide shit. Those decisions were made by bullshit rules passed by Congress.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Probably better on the j-topics board. I almost missed it on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted