1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Everything Else.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Dec 23, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

What you love about the holidays: Watching my son, who still believes in Santa Claus. The excitement he brings is so infectious.
    What you dread about the holidays: Always finding a way to be struggling financially during this time of year. Last year I was putting my wife through school. This year she is putting me through life (barely).
    Favorite holiday memory: Christmas, 1969. My parents were dirt poor, and had five kids in a six-year period. I was 5 when Santa brought me a stuffed terrier that became my security blanket. I found out years later they got him from the Salvation Army.
    Best Damn Christmas Song: "Away in a Manger," though I really like that Nutcracker instrumental.
    Gift you're hoping for: A job. Assistant sports editor at a mid-size daily, a sports editor at a non-daily, or someone to make me an offer I can't refuse. For now, though, having someone appreciate my talent, loyalty and dedication to my craft.
    Best gift you bought this year: I didn't have money to buy any gifts this year. Thanks to some wonderful people, my kids will be OK.
    Gift you don't want but will probably get: Some book on hanging tough through spiritual warfare, or on trusting God when you don't think He cares.
    Who do you miss the most during the holidays? My father. It's not even close.
    Where do you wish you were right now? In a warm home 30 minutes from Kansas City, with my wife and kids, my oldest sister and her husband, and some close friends. Or the Christmases from the early 1990s with all of our single friends at our apartment having a good time.
    Plans for New Years: To find a decent job and dig us out of the financial hole we're in.
    Your New Years Resolution: To get back below 200 pounds. To try to stop cussing. To love my kids more and my misery less.
    Greatest wish for 2008: That our family will be in a position where we can deposit our paychecks knowing we already have rent and utilities paid and an extra month's rent in the bank.

Thanks, 21, this was a great idea. Merry Christmas.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

C'mon Hockey -- we're here to help each other. If I can do this ...

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

What you love about the holidays: everything about being home. The trinkets that my mom puts out every year... the same things that have been there as long as I can remember. A home-cooked meal. Starting the inevitable wrapping paper fight with my dad and brother. All of it.

What you dread about the holidays: The two days I get are over too damn fast.

Favorite holiday memory: Probably Christmas of 89. Me and my brother got Tecmo Bowl that year, and wore the damn thing out. It was the last Christmas we spent in my childhood home... and I remember that it was the day Billy Martin died, which is apropos of nothing.

Best Damn Christmas Song: That "Hark hear the bells" tune. Haunting quality to it, and I don't hear that much of it, which makes it tolerable.

Gift you're hoping for: Bryant's for lunch on Christmas Eve, Mom's home-cooked meal on Christmas day. Everything else is a bonus. Plus a dear friend and his wife had a baby girl recently, so I can't wait to meet her for the first time.

Best gift you bought this year: Got my brother a tshirt from prepsportswear.com. He'll be the proud owner of a sumo-wrestling tshirt from our alma mater.

Gift you don't want but will probably get: Some random golf trinket that my mom always gets for me. I think I've got three range-finders now, though I'll never use them. She's cool for trying, though.

Who do you miss the most during the holidays?: We've been blessed with good health in our family for my 27 Christmases. So thankfully, I won't be missing anybody.

Where do you wish you were right now?: Anywhere but here.

Plans for New Years: Nothing too crazy. Gots to get up at 10:30 to watch Mizzou in the Cotton Bowl. (Eat a dick, BCS).

Your New Years Resolution: Make a life-changing decision. Get out of where I'm at now. Find something (and hopefully someone) that makes me happy. To not be the grumpy, miserable asshole I think I've been the last few months.

Greatest wish for 2008: To have as many opportunities to reconnect with friends as I did in 07.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

What you love about the holidays: Watching my kids' 2nd time around at this, and that it's starting to click in their minds.
    What you dread about the holidays: When it hits me it'll be my first without my mom and now with both parents gone.
    Favorite holiday memory: Going to my grandmother's up until I was 10. The meal was worth it alone.
    Best Damn Christmas Song: Any Manheim Steamroller
    Gift you're hoping for: Continued good health for my wife and kids.
    Best gift you bought this year: Bought my wife a gift certificate for a massage - she better like it, but no happy ending.
    Gift you don't want but will probably get: More Penn State clothing...yes, I'm a huge fan, but...
    Who do you miss the most during the holidays? My dad, now my mom
    Where do you wish you were right now? I like where I am, actually.
    Plans for New Years: Hopefully, my wife and I can watch Dick Clark without cringing.
    Your New Years Resolution: Lose weight (I need to kill like 20 lbs).
    Greatest wish for 2008: That my wife and kids love me as much as they did in 2007

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

What you love about the holidays: Walking into my parents' house Christmas Day. The days up to then are batshit crazy (my wife's birthday is Christmas Eve--happy birthday honey!--and we host an all-day party for family and friends), so when we pull into the driveway, I know I can finally relax.

What you dread about the holidays: the buildup--is everything going to be ready? Is the house going to be clean? Is my mother going to mind that my wife and brother-in-law are taking over the cooking?--and then, after everything works out for the most part, leaving my parents' house the next day. All that and it's over in a hurry.

Favorite holiday memory: 2002, when a blizzard hit the east coast and my mom said don't bother, we'll do Xmas over the weekend. I said fuck that and we drove thru rain and snow and all sorts of crap, calling my sister every 15 minutes to update her on our progress but telling her not to tell mom in case we had to turn around. We walked in the door. My mom saw us and started to cry. "I'm so glad you came," she said as she gave me the biggest hug I think I've ever gotten from her.

I also remember, when I was a kid, that my sister and I would exchange gifts first. She always got me a matchbox car. I think I always got her some kind of doll. Always the same thing, but we looked forward to that exchange so much.

Best Damn Christmas Song: Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), Darlene Love

Gift you're hoping for: Already got it: a new computer. Fuck you Dell!!!! Also hoping my mom was able to get the Best American Sports Writing from Amazon in time. Getting that is a Xmas tradition.

Best gift you bought this year: The Keurig (sp?) coffee maker for my wife. She already opened it.

Gift you don't want but will probably get: Probably some hideous sweater from my mom that I'll never wear. It's OK though. She means well!

Who do you miss the most during the holidays? My grandparents (mom's side, my dad's parents died before I was born). Grandpa died when I was 7 but we always did something on Xmas with my grandma, who cooked a monster meal.

Where do you wish you were right now? My parents' house, cause then it'd be Christmas!

Plans for New Years: Not much. I'm not a big fan of heading out on New Years Eve. I'd be happy to play cards with friends.

Your New Years Resolution: To be the writer I believe I can be. Also lose weight. Lots of weight.

Greatest wish for 2008: Happiness for everyone I know and love. including you crazy bastards here. Merry Christmas everyone!

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

What you love about the holidays: Visiting with family that I don't usually see. All four of my grandparents are still alive and in their 70's but becoming disturbingly older each year. They aren't as lively as they once were and their bodies are beginning to break down. One grandmother has ovarian cancer, but things are thankfully looking good with her. The more I get to see them, the better. They are all unique, influential, and superb people. One pair of grandparents live in Brooklyn; the other in West Palm Beach, so it's not exactly easy seeing them. But we will all come together tomorrow and Tuesday.

What you dread about the holidays: Snow! Hate it, along with the cold that accompanies it.

Favorite holiday memory: Getting a Nintendo 64 when I was about ten and it first came out. I was so excited, running up and down the hallway with Mario 64 clutched close. I must have played that damn game my entire winter vacation. It's crazy how excited I used to get for Christmas. It's just not a big deal anymore, another day.

Best Damn Christmas Song: "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" by Lennon. The best ever. Or, if instrumentals are counted, the entire Peanuts Christmas album is just brilliant.

Gift you're hoping for: The video game Rock Star for PS2, Randy Moss jersey, American Eagle sweatshirt, WrestleMania 23 tickets, Red Sox World Series boxset, some stuff for my car, money.

Best gift you bought this year: A heated massager for my grandfather, who has been a tireless laborer since he was a young New York immigrant.

Gift you don't want but will probably get: Every single year my Aunt gives me the same gift: Scrabble. And every single year I bring it back to Wal-Mart for my $12.88.

Who do you miss the most during the holidays?: Nobody, really...maybe my ex?

Where do you wish you were right now?: With my college buddies in Connecticut.

Plans for New Years: Depends on where I am, but I'd like to be in Boston for the night like usual.

Your New Years Resolution: Live a happy and productive year in Florida, be outside as much as possible, keep working out and gaining muscle mass.

Greatest wish for 2008: Pats finish off that 19-0 season in Arizona, Celts beat Spurs in NBA Finals, BoSox win another title, Democrat takes over the White House and gets the troops out ASAP, I find a nice hands-on job and a decent woman, my sick family and friends become happy and healthy. OK, I have quite a few wishes... ;D

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

What you love about the holidays: Spending time with friends, Christmas carols, making people's day with the presents I buy them.
    What you dread about the holidays: Someone saying something arkward at Christmas Dinner.
    Favorite holiday memory: Singing in midnight mass at my local church.
    Best Damn Christmas Song: Hark, The Herald Angels Sing.
    Gift you're hoping for: An Ipod shuffle.
    Best gift you bought this year: The ear piercing certificate and corresponding jewelry I bought for my girlfriend.
    Gift you don't want but will probably get: I have no idea. The people who buy me presents always do a wonderful job.
    Who do you miss the most during the holidays? My family.
    Where do you wish you were right now? Right here. I love my life right now.
    Plans for New Years: I know I'm on the desk, so not much.
    Your New Years Resolution: To talk/email my brother and sister much, much more.
    Greatest wish for 2008: Health and happiness for all my friends, both real and those I only know online.

I sincerly hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season, and can't wait to meet some of you in Seattle in the summer.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What you love about the holidays: meeting up with my friends who live out of town but come home for Christmas. And my mom's waffles, made from scratch, every Christmas morning. I smother them in whipped cream and chocolate syrup and live it up.

What you dread about the holidays: Christmas ham. I only like ham on pizza. Too much of it and I'm not a happy boy.

Favorite holiday memory: having my grandparents around every year.... aside from this year, usually it's the only time I ever see them. They seem pretty intent on moving nearby, which will be great.

Best Damn Christmas Song: either Hark The Herald, or Drummer Boy

Gift you're hoping for: Some books and movies

Best gift you bought this year: I try and spoil my sister, actually

Gift you don't want but will probably get: ornament.... I never get a tree here, since I go to my parent's who live nearby for Christmas, then again, someday it'll come in handy. The gag gift I got from my friend tonight, and will get once a month for the next year, is something I definitely do NOT want. The ladies will love it though.

Who do you miss the most during the holidays? no one in particular, though it'd be nice to have someone to hold hands with and sit next to at church, but it'll come in time.

Where do you wish you were right now? Where it's warm.

Plans for New Years: me and good friends getting together to drink well, eat well, and celebrate with the people we've become very close with

Your New Years Resolution: Maybe express myself more and not hide my true feelings, I don't know.

Greatest wish for 2008: good years for everyone

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Herpes?

10. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

What you love about the holidays: Waking up and awkwardly sitting around Christmas morning while everyone decides who opens which gift first. That and the food the night before.
    What you dread about the holidays: Christmas dinner
    Favorite holiday memory: Going from my room downstairs as a kid to find tons and tons of presents under the tree.
    Best Damn Christmas Song: Silver Bells
    Gift you're hoping for: Something real useful.
    Best gift you bought this year: A diamond necklace for the girlfriend
    Gift you don't want but will probably get: Yet another Christmas sweater
    Who do you miss the most during the holidays? The Christmas of my childhood, when everything was merry and fine and responsibility wasn't even a figment of my imagination.
    Where do you wish you were right now? In my old home.
    Plans for New Years: No idea yet. Girlfriend said Boston. I laughed.
    Your New Years Resolution: Hitting the weights hard to gain some weight.
    Greatest wish for 2008: Everything works in my favor.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Your best and worst and favorites and fears and wants and wishes....let's go:

What you love about the holidays: I love getting to be around old friends, sharing memories and stories and having a great time -- like no one's ever left the area or each other.

What you dread about the holidays: The drive and the planning my retreat to a lonely apartment.

Favorite holiday memory: Just getting up Christmas mornings and walking downstairs to wake my oldest sister. We were the first and third of four children and always stuck together -- making fun of our parents and our siblings. We'd rally the troops in around the tree and park ourselves next to each other on the couch. And the entire morning, we'd just poke fun at everyone. We were like best friends. And we're still like that to a degree today, but only when it comes to this holiday.

Best Damn Christmas Song: Nerf Herder - I've Got A Boner For Christmas.

Gift you're hoping for: I just got it. I had most of my closest friends around me for a few hours, exchanging smiles, laughs and gifts. There's not much more I can ask for right now.

Best gift you bought this year: I bought 20 Green Day guitar picks for $36, and they made the recipient glow. Perfection sums it up best.

Gift you don't want but will probably get: A gift card to Foot Locker. I might kill someone if it's in my stocking.

Who do you miss the most during the holidays? My most current ex-girlfriend. Always.

Where do you wish you were right now? Nowhere else. I'm happy right here.

Plans for New Years: I'm meeting up with a bunch of friends from college -- an entirely different crew than in my hometown -- and we're going to spend three or four days drinking, making fun of each other and reminiscing. My kind of times, Charlie. My kind of times. ...

Your New Years Resolution: I want to drop below 200 pound for the first time since I started college almost seven years ago. Thirty-two pounds to go. ...

Greatest wish for 2008: To not be single any longer because I found true happiness with another person.

Happy Christmas, you arse. ...

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What you love about the holidays: Work springs for more food Everyone seems more cheerful.
    What you dread about the holidays: Shopping (just got done today).
    Favorite holiday memory: The street football games after dinner; seeing the kids go batshit over the gifties.
    Best Damn Christmas Song: God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman (religious), Blue Christmas (rock), Walking Round in Women's Underwear (novelty)
    Gift you're hoping for: Tickets to something good.
    Best gift you bought this year: Video game system.
    Gift you don't want but will probably get: Socks.
    Who do you miss the most during the holidays? My parents (both deceased).
    Where do you wish you were right now? Vegas Christmas, bay-bee.
    Plans for New Years: Undecided.
    Your New Years Resolution: Don't believe in them; come up with something on Dec. 31 or Jan. 2 or June 9, for all it matters.
    Greatest wish for 2008: That the daughter gets the college she wants.

Draft saved Draft deleted